1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks FTTC modem/routers

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bestseany, 24 Sep 2013.

1. bestseany

bestseany What's a Dremel?

I've had Plusnet 80mbps fibre for a while now and whilst it's been great, the wireless on the supplied Thomson router is a bit poo.

I'm looking for an all-in-one router with a VDSL2 modem and 5GHz wireless, but I'm struggling a bit. Draytek used to do some expensive ones but they've been discontinued and the new models are all 2.4GHz.

I know I could just replace the router on its own, but I'd rather get rid of the Openreach modem at the same time if I'm spending the money.

Has anyone found anything suitable?

2. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Something like the Netgear DGND4000 looks quite good. Does ADSL2, but has a connector to allow fibre routing instead through a Gig-E port; add a modem and you're away.

3. bestseany

I'm trying to get rid of the Openreach modem, so trying to find a router with a VDSL2 modem built-in.

4. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Well if you don't want a separate modem + router then the only one I can find is the Fritz!Box 7390.

I would grab a modem, or use the Openreach one (as it is rather well rated from the details I can find) then open up to a world of awesome cable routers. In fact, looking for the latter scenario, the D-Link Archer C7 looks really good for super-fast wireless transfer speeds, reviewers have seen >1Gbps out of it easily.

5. megadriveguy

megadriveguy Minimodder

Draytek are one of the only companies that seem to make them and there all expensive

6. bestseany

Th Fritz!Box is a good find. Thanks. Although it is quite expensive.

I'm surprised there isn't more modem/routers available for FTTC to be honest. I may have to go down the cable router path, but it would be nice to only have one box as my telephone table is a bit cramped at the moment :)

Draytek used to make a suitable one but it's been discontinued, all the VDSL2 ones are now only 2.4GHz for some reason. You're right, they are all expensive.

7. megadriveguy

megadriveguy Minimodder

You mean the Draytek Vigor 2850Vn
    You will still maybe find it on ebay I would wait for a used one to pop up but they still go for around £150 used

Ebay

Your best off keeping the openreach modem and using something like the ASUS RT-N66U with it

8. gazchaz

gazchaz What's a Dremel?

9. gazchaz

gazchaz What's a Dremel?

Ignore that! Just noticed that also requires the openreach modem, DOH!

10. lysaer

lysaer Suck my unit! Kirk lazarus (2008)

You might as well keep the openreach modem it doesn't do much and doesn't really adversely affect anything.

If you want a good router you could go with an rv series cisco, like an rv220w.

If you really need a new modem go then the Cisco dpc range work.

All depends on what your budget is really.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 4