1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress G5 Sacrilege update Jun. 15th a tale of two doors

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by jhanlon303, 14 Feb 2008.

1. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

Want to see the new front?

In case anyone is still interested - the front cuts are complete. I going to show some pictures from today's productive session.
    To remove the side support that holds up the HDD and optical tray I had to remove 10 rivets. The only rivets I've found so far:
    Seven at the bottom:
    [​IMG]
    and three at the top:
    [​IMG]

This is the complete side support removed from the "case"
    [​IMG]

The reason I need this is for the shelf at the top for the DVD. It is held on by these little (m2?) bolts hanging down and the other side bolts to the original skin.
    [​IMG]

In an earlier post I said the front/top and the back/bottom were symmetrical. This is how it is held together:
    [​IMG]
    Nice full width plate with 12 nuts! Once you unbolt both plates you get a front/top:
    [​IMG]
    and a rear/bottom:
    [​IMG]
    Sitting pretty side by side from the outside:
    [​IMG]
    and the inside:
    [​IMG]

Diversion 1 to increase drama.
    These are the bolts, nuts, brackets, and standoffs removed just to take off the skin and the inner side panel:
    [​IMG]
    4.1 ounces (115 grams) of kit that required a serious number of hours.
    [​IMG]
    I can see why a professionally modded case costs! LABOUR!
    END Diversion 1
    Anybody still there?

Time to put the parts in the workmate:
    [​IMG]
    No pictures of the actually cutting. Takes two hands and a lot of breath holding to do surgery on a G5!!!!

Still want to see the results? One of the guys I work with does!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Next to the Casdon:
    [​IMG]

There's them cans again or are these new ones?
    [​IMG]

8 inches wide - 8 5/8 tall to finish to 8 1/2 tall. I found a way to get creative with the corners.

I'm waiting for feedback.

John

2. Cyprio

Cyprio G5 Supermodder

Looking good man. It sure takes time getting all those bolts off the cage - i remember cursing Apple engineers when i took mine apart!

So the plan is to get them welded together? I cant wait to see that as it's probably what i should have gone for rather than using epoxy and a thin layer of aluminium inside the join.

I guess we each use what we have available to us. :)

Cyp.

3. jhanlon303

I'm thinking Apple must have built these cases in Ireland. Only the wee folk have hands to fit these cases!
    Let me try the J.B. Weld route first. I have patience and some proper tools. 3mm holes anyone?
    John

4. clocker

clocker Shovel Ready

Wow.
    Getting the holes in the mesh to line up along the cut is going to be quite a feat.

5. Scirocco

Scirocco Boobs, I have them, you lose.

Doctor Evil Modder: "Breathtaking. I shall call him... Mini-Mac."

6. hanabusa

hanabusa What's a Dremel?

頑張って下さいね!

本物のMac Proをサイズダウンするのですか?
    Is genuine Mac Pro downed in the size?:eeek:

7. 500mph

500mph The Right man in the Wrong place

Yes.

Also, Great Job. I hope to see these holes lined up perfectly!
    or, however you want....

8. hanabusa

hanabusa What's a Dremel?

楽しみにしてます。

完成するのが楽しみです。
    ワクワクしちゃいますね。:clap:

Completing it is the enjoyment.
    It gets excited.

9. clocker

clocker Shovel Ready

If you've already mentioned this, I must have missed it...

Is the case going to remain at it's stock, full length or does it get shortened as well?

10. jhanlon303

Going to shorten it up also. The interior electronics is mini-itx so I do not need any length. It's actually getting the look I am after.
    John

11. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Awww! I liked the long, low, sled look. It would have looked sick with the handle/foot panel on it like that.

Getting the holes lined up shouldn't be to much trouble. You can use a block of wood and some of the un-cut mesh to make a jig. Drill holes in the wood where the holes line up, and use nails that fit snugly in the mesh to hold the cut bits in position. (Did I just babble again?:duh:)
    I still say solder it together. Then you could get it powdercoated if you wanted.:D

12. HeXeN

HeXeN Straight from Hell

John -till now i didn't realize what you are doing with those g5 cases. Now i know ... you are making frankenstein (macmini G5). I will keep my glass eye on it ... Arrr :)

13. jhanlon303

What about skate board wheels and flames. Just kidding!:D
    Working on trial back now. I measured with the mini-itx board and it fits flat on bottom with I/O where the Apple power plug square hole is. Oh, and I found my SSHD. Save even more space.
    John

14. clocker

clocker Shovel Ready

You mean you just so happened to have a solid state drive laying around or you found one to order?

15. jhanlon303

I have some from another project. They are pretty cool. They plug in to a PCI connector on the motherboard instead of a cable. In really tight spaces they can be ordered with connectors to actually plug into a short cable and lay flat. And they have this cute little 2 pin power connectors that plug in to a fan header. Found them in China somewhere when I imported some A4 Tech mini keyboards. Flat keys like a laptop and no number pad. The internet is a cool place, even outside eBay. Lots of Chinese manufacturers will sell small lots or even 1 for "engineering evaluation"

John

16. E.E.L. Ambiense

E.E.L. Ambiense Acrylic Heretic

jhanlon303, how did I miss this?! Argh. This is friggin' cool. I'm gonna watch this. Keep it up! :thumb:

17. projectW

projectW What's a Dremel?

:eek: oohhh... i never thought the inner piece of a G5 is actually 2 pieces... top+front and rear+bottom... :D

i always thought they were a long single strip bent on four sides heh... i am closer on the real thing then :D Thanks!

looking forward for final :rock:

18. jhanlon303

Just 2 pieces bolted together. I'll have the rear mocked up and I'll use the joining plates to hold it for tonights pictures.:dremel:

John

19. clocker

clocker Shovel Ready

What capacity are they?
    I've been running a 4GB iRAM as my OS drive and consider it the coolest of my "impractical follies".
    The speed and silence is totally addicting.
    When regular SSDs drop a bit more in price, I'm all over 'em.

20. jhanlon303

Back Mocked up and reassembled

I have been busy today with the G5. I cut the original back and part of the original front to make a nice mock up.
    The new front, the back, and the leftover front piece.
    [​IMG]
    The original back cut just above the Apple power cord slot:
    [​IMG]
    These are original Dremel reinforced cutoff wheels. 2 full cuts across a G5 yields the tiny one on the right:
    [​IMG]
    The top and the bottom together again.
    [​IMG]
    Adding a 3 inch section from the original front - just the holes please!
    Original front - upside down - with the new rear right side up:
    [​IMG]
    A peek at the new rear panel and then I need to explain what's going through my head.
    [​IMG]

Now let's talk. the new back panel is made from three pieces, and yes it's too big. The making tape is to remind me what size to finish it off to when I pull out the belt sander. With the mini-itx, I have a couple choices, mount it like Apple did with the PCI slots(2) in the upper right hand corner. OR. The mini-itx can sit flat on the bottom and the Apple power cord hole gets opened up to make an I/O opening. The original Apple PCI cover is spot welded to the inside of the case at every one of the bars between the holes. A lot! I could take it out by grinding the welds and re-use it(my intention) or slice and dice one of the donor cases aroud here. The original latch is spot welded in the same manner. It will be reused. Remember the inner side panel, the plastic latches, and the door?

Right now the only thing holding it up is the original metal joiners and a few nuts. It stands up now.
    Here's what it looks like now.
    3/4 view from front on door side:
    [​IMG]
    From the front:
    [​IMG]
    3/4 view from the front on the non-door side:
    [​IMG]
    From the rear:
    [​IMG]

Still to do. Shorten the top and bottom, spend some quality time with the belt sander to square everything up.

Anybody still awake?

Tags: