1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress GAME HARD, FOLD HARDER - back to work on this baby

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Hukkel, 1 Jan 2013.

1. WaRn00b™

WaRn00b™ bit-tech addict

HUP HOLLAND!!! :p

Looks great man, I'm just not a fan of those tiny GTX670s - think a nice long PCB with a stunning backplate like you have would've filled the case much better. ;)

All in all, looking fantastic!!

2. Hukkel

Hukkel James' minion

Thank you very much Azariel :thumb:

I still can't understand why all other cards are so big compared to this one. It packs so much power in such a nice tiny package. I agree the long cards look very nice. But these smaller cards also have something about them. Plus KFA2 was kind enough to help me out with a reference model so I could watercool it. So I went with 670. I can always slap a 3rd onto it if it doesn't meet my wishes :D

Thanks for your kind words.:clap:

3. dipzy

dipzy Minimodder

one word: Amazing :D

4. Hukkel

Hukkel James' minion

Thank you very much Dipzy, means a lot to see people enjoying it that much :clap:

5. Hukkel

Hukkel James' minion

Update time brethern :)

Today I FINALLY received a package that is the start of that phase. Because of the size of the rear panel lightbox it needs to be dissassembled to fit or lose a gfx card. Not really feel like doing that a lot. So now I have my 2nd waterblock I can go all out :) A waterblock, a bunch of cable holders and a Bitspower tab (good Lord are those expensive &@%^@^#%*).
    I need the previously bought (used) EVGA GTX670. Tested by myself during quite some hours of folding@home and good to use.
    I initially wanted to buy a KFA2 (duh) but I just needed to know if KFA2 changed the reference design PCB or if XSPC just makes lousy fitting waterblocks. I'm about to find out!
    Also I feel it is time for me to show you the 2nd backplate Ricardo created for me to fit the theme. I have had it laying around since the showing of the first one. But wanted to save showing it untill now. Design wise this time no brand, just blending with the theme for now. Another toppiece if I may say so myself. here are the pictures

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now I am going to have fun building it, hopefully get pictures of that VERY soon.

See ya! :)

Thanks AGAIN Ricardo. Awesome piece of work. No other way of saying it. "The pleximaster" strikes again! :rock: :clap: :thumb:

[​IMG]

www.coldzero.eu

6. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Shibby. You don't see those xspc gpu blocks about much, but they're gorgeous in their simplicity.

7. Hukkel

Hukkel James' minion

Thanks a lot TC :thumb:

I have another issue with them though. :sigh:

I ask of you. Mr. XSPC. Is it reallt THAT hard to make a waterblock that fits gfx card with a reference PCB? Is it really that hard? :wallbash: Since, you know, it is your core business and all.
    I have tried fitting two blocks on two different brand reference PCb gfx cards. And both give me different issues fitting it. I bet if I go and order blocks from EKWB or Aquacomputer it will fit like a glove on both cards no questions asked. As you can see in the following pictures the orange outlined hight is now an issue. This makes the block not touching the PCB and parts on that side. Look at it. I have the thermal pads fitted and you can look right through there, there is like another 1-2mm room between it. I will have to dremel :dremel: the crevas deeper into the plexi. Either that or do it with a drill on a stand hoping to do a small bit of CNC work myself on it. Man oh man what an ill-designed waterblocks are these. So beautiful, yet so ill-fitting. #RANT!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. jeckulz

jeckulz What's a Dremel?

NICE WORK MAN!!

9. saxovtsmike

saxovtsmike Minimodder

those wireclips are awsome, where did you get them, never seen something like that...

10. Hukkel

Hukkel James' minion

Thanks Jeckulz!

I have bought them from FrozenCPU. They're from ModSmart I believe.

Urrgghh hopefully mod the waterblock this weekend. I should have been building it by now :wallbash:

11. Hukkel

Hukkel James' minion

And I finally finished modding it. Had some time today, borrowed my brothers drillstand. Thankfully my powerdrill fitted perfectly. All German engineering. It doesn't get much better ;)

This time I added a live action photo of me for a change hahaha. Hope you like it.

You can see the before and after photos of the block. The plexi middle piece had to be hollowed out by about 2mm.

And finally the card is about finished. The paint on the PCI slot plate is drying now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ONWARDS TO SOME ACTUAL BUILDING!!!!

12. Hukkel

Hukkel James' minion

13. ColdzeroTeam

ColdzeroTeam What's a Dremel?

Congrats my friend :) it's well deserved ;)

i'm just disapointed that you don't have the case finished yet :p what about some night shots of the iluminated parts? :D i mean... i already know how they look like, but would like everyone else to see that as well :p

14. Hukkel

Hukkel James' minion

I love you man :blush:

haha I am dissappointed myself as well. So much going on in my life right now.

Today I spent working on the case. Needed to testfit the illuminated midplate so I could draw where to make the two fillport holes. Also fitted the bay sidecover (which is :clap: in real life). Needed to fit and remove some parts. Still getting to know the correct order :lol:
    Tomorrow I am making the holes and fitting it back for real. :rock:

------------------------------

I received a mysterious package today. Check it out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hooray :clap:

Sir Michael of Mayhems was so kind to donate me 3 liters of their orange coolant and some red and yellow dye to perfect it to the brightest orange I could think of.
    Freaking amazing Mike :rock: Thank you very much. I am honored you're willing to put your name on this case. :thumb:

[​IMG]

http://www.mayhems.co.uk/front/#.UctQxpxdUoI

15. Hukkel

Hukkel James' minion

Big update time. Today I did the final fitting adjustments so I could fit all new plexi parts. I did a small photosession after that. With bad lighting, but just to give you the general idea of how it is coming together now.

First I drilled two 20mm holes for the fillports. After this I took out the mobo tray completely and fitted the bay cover and the illuminated midplate. I also fitted the new backplate of the case. And finally I put the lightbox on the inside of the backplate. This will light up the lion on the rear panel just like the gfx on the bay side cover will be lit by a large lightbox behind the cover.

Lets do some less typing and let the photos do the talking. Really not good quality. But it does give the general idea.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next jobs to do: fit all the sleeved cables and make them also fit through the wonderfull "combs" on the mobo extension plate. Make my own large set of fan extension cables and fit them to the fancontroller. Sleeve (and shorten) the wiring from the D5 pump.

[​IMG]

www.coldzero.eu

16. KoSoVaR^

KoSoVaR^ Professional Sleever & Modder

looks awsome :D!

17. Asouter

Asouter --------

yeah it does, It is a cracking build mate

18. Hukkel

Hukkel James' minion

Thank you very much Dr. K! :clap:

Thanks Asouter :thumb:

19. Hukkel

Hukkel James' minion

Small update. I finally came around to make all my fan extension cables tonight. 9 pieces in various lengths I believe. I measures how long every fan extension needed to be. Wrote it down and took a seat :)
    I will sleeve them tomorrow I think. They will be all black. They just need to look clean not be noticed a lot :)
    It just needs to look tidy.

[​IMG]

I also received a small package from an UK watercooling shop. I wanted to try out a few shops just to see how fast they ship and how good their prices are and also very important how good their stock is. I hate it when shops need to order stuff themselves and it takes weeks or longer for it to arrive to them. I don't have tie for that. Anyway, bought me two 90 degree EKWB adapters (who needs Bitspower with these looks and prices), an XSPC SLI connector to connect two pci slots that are directly next to eachother, a very heave Alphacool T-section. I will use this to fit the tab for the loop at the lowest point. And a male-male Alphacool connector to be able to fit that tab to the T-piece :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hopefully I can mount some stuff tomorrow or sunday. I still need to also sleeve the pump wiring (and shorten the 4 pin on that a lot. It is now almost all wiring, cablemanagement and hoses/pipes. After that the LEDs and their LED board. And after that.....leaktesting.

20. Hukkel

Hukkel James' minion

Time for an update.

After many weeks of labour finally my attic is now the bedroom for my youngest daughter. She has left the babyroom and now has her own bedroom with floorspace to play with toys and such. And now sleeps in a big bed. My girls are getting big :sigh:

On the bright side. Now I could finally start transforming her old babyroom into my stash and modifying / sleeving room :rock:
    I put up my first (of 2 or 3) desks and finally took my baby home. I can now finally work on her much easier and faster. Room for storage, room for building, not having to clean up everything everytime.
    I am in modding heaven :)

[​IMG]

I have done some stuff on the build I forgot to take photos of. Here are a few things.

Last time I fitted my custom made extension cables for the fans. I now have no wiring in sight from the side. Al nicely tucked under the radiator stand Muderbox-style. Awesome design guys, I love it!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now they all come up on the frontside of the case. You can still see some sleeved wiring there but I will make a small plate to hide them all.
    They have been fitted to the fancontroller. As well as the 3 top fans. I need to do some cablemanagement but cannot find the cable-management-clips I bought a year ago. Poooooh. I need to find them :wallbash:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also started figuring out the hose routing. Fitted some fittings to see if I have enough and the correct type.

I had to change the very nice looking Bitspower fillports for far less good looking Alphacool ones. In the pictures you can see why.
    I am just glad Alphacool sells them. No other brand has such long fillports. Ideal for midplates as you can see.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also fitted the XSPC SLI fitting. Looks very nice and stealthy. Now lets hope it doesn't leak.

[​IMG]

Finally I have been busy building a small monitoring block. A USB Aquacomputer flowmeter and tempsensor. They will be placed in between the radiator and the midplate going to the waterblocks. Going to use them with the aquasuite software.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That is it for tonight everyone. Expect more updates soon!