1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays GeForce 3D Vision - What Monitor?

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by PureSilver, 14 Jan 2009.

1. PureSilver

PureSilver E-tailer Tailor

I read NVIDIA's site for the 3D-tech glasses they're advertising, and note with interest that along with the Samsung SyncMaster 2233RZ and ViewSonic FuHzion VX2265wm (both 120Hz LCD displays) they also list:

Behold.

Now, I just bought a brand new 22" monitor. So my desire to hurl £150 at a pair of glasses and what looks to be £250+ on a monitor is limited. However, I reckon I might be persuaded to throw £150 at a pair of glasses and then buy a CRT; from my limited searches they now retail for as little as '£finding one dumped by the side of the road'.

It's not as simple as that, though; I think the games often need to be set to the display's native resolution to work with NVIDIA's drivers:

(From here.) So it needs to be able to run 100Hz+ at a resolution worth playing games on; I was thinking 1024x768 to be a reasonable one. The third issue, of course, is how to connect the thing - the output from the graphics card to the monitor is by DVI-D, which being digital seems unlikely to work with the old-skool CRT.

So, then, three questions:
    1. What, if any, CRTs will hold a 100-120Hz refresh rate at 1024x768?
    2. Does anyone know how to connect such a CRT to the video card?
    3. Has anyone tried this before? Or have any knowledge of how to do so?

Any and all information appreciated!

Last edited: 14 Jan 2009
  2. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

A quality 19"+ CRT should easily manage 120hz at 1024x768, its when the resolution starts going up that the refresh comes down.

I used to have a CTX PR960F many moons ago on which I dabbled with 3D glasses and was able to game in 1280x960@120hz.

Be warned, even at 120hz the effective 60hz refresh flickers quite a bit on a CRT and is headache inducing with more than an hour of gaming. Dropping the resolution and upping the refresh to 150hz or even 170hz helps, though there may be technical limitations with the glasses when you start getting up this high.

3. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

I'd be scanning the 2nd hand market for high end CRTs that match your specs.
    They do seem to exist and if you're lucky you might get an excellent deal (esp. if you can collect) from a professional who has finally buckled and "upgraded" to an LCD.

4. PureSilver

Hmm. So, appropriate CRTs do exist... Does anyone know whether the glasses can handle >120Hz and are adjustable? Or how to connect the 'card?

5. PureSilver

OK; having done some more searching, have pin-pointed the Iiyama Vision Master Pro 514 (HM204DT) as the fastest-refreshing CRT around. There's one on eBay US for $20, but obviously I need one a bit closer to home.

Still no idea how to connect it, though - anyone?

6. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

I think the 3D Vision bundle includes (or at least is compatible with) a normal DVI to VGA adaptor.
    Awesome monitor by the way, 113hz at 1600x1200 cheesecake :D

Tags: