1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice getting a new rig advice wanted pls

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Dreamcometru, 26 Oct 2017.

1. sjhujh

sjhujh Minimodder

Yeah Aria are good too.

They were actually really good recently when I had an issue with a GFX card I bought off them. Sorted it quickly and with no fuss.

2. Dreamcometru

Dreamcometru Minimodder

guys more advice pls,

ive been reading a bit and from what i understand (and as mentioned above) its really worth getting a screen with higher resolution so that u can take advantage of the 1070 performance.

is this right?

should i get a 4k screen?

if i do get a 4k screen is, is 4k worth it on a 24" screen or would i need 27" at least? (i hope it would be ok with a 24" becuase 27" might be a bit large for my desk/room)

thanks in advance

ps. was looking at this

3. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

I'd stick to 2k. 4k is 1080/ti territory. 2k is very nice on a 24".

4. sandys

sandys Multimodder

What do you want 4k for? If it’s for the real estate it needs to be bigger, a small 24/27” only really offers a benefit on reduced aliasing so things like nice fonts etc when scaled up, of course all your apps need to support dpi scaling or things like text will be small, it will also offer less aliasing in games but a quite a performance cost.

At 24/27 1440p is the sweet spot.

A 1070 can drive a 4K screen with some compromises on quality levels and framerate but it will be game dependent, maxed settings at 4k even a 1080ti struggles. I use a 4k 43" for gaming/work and a heavily overclocked 1080Ti will do 60+fps in pretty much everything, just!

5. sjhujh

sjhujh Minimodder

From my personal experience I'd say 2k is 1080 territory. The reason I say that is, for me, I want to play with all the bells and whistles turned up and have a nice solid frame rate... Which I know is wanting my cake and then some.

Personally if I was making a sub 1500 quid rig I would stick to a 1080p high refresh monitor and a 1070...

As for size 2k is best at 27inches I feel.

My monitor is 27 inches, I recently saw a friends 2k 24 incher and I felt it was too small when you were just using the PC outside of gaming.

6. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

At 27 inches, you'd be looking at 1440P as 1080P is too blocky. I've got a 24' at 1080P and will be looking to move to 1440P with high refresh rates at some point in the future. 4K really needs a 1080 Ti at the least, and often two of them to be playable.

7. Dreamcometru

Dreamcometru Minimodder

ok thanks again everyone will stick to a 1920x1080 monitor for now im just not sure what to get. is it really worth getting one of those nvidia sync monitors. they are double the price of a decent 23" monitor.

is the response time difference (1ms compared to 5ms) really that noticeable?

8. sjhujh

sjhujh Minimodder

Depends, if you're big into games the investment might feel worthwhile.

However if you're just gonna casually play games then it might not be an issue for you. The difference isn't really about response time of the monitor but the way the monitor refreshes. a G-Sync monitor has a module in it that syncs the refresh rate of the monitor to the fps being pushed by the GFX card. For example if the card is supplying a FPS of 90 the monitor will match that, this prevents screen tearing and also gives a smoother feel to the game. You won't notice changes in FPS to the same degree as on a non G-Sync monitor.

Not sure how others feel about this but if you are considering an adaptive frame rate monitor maybe it would be best to go for an AMD GFX card as the Freesync monitors are a lot cheaper, due to not requiring the additional module that Nvidia stipulates as part of G-Sync

9. Dreamcometru

Dreamcometru Minimodder

great thanks, have another question sry!

im looking at cpu heatsinks and i notice that some say they support am 3+ does this mean they support am 4 socket cpus?

also having trouble finding a mid tower case that leaves enough room for the aftermarket cooler im looking at.

any suggestions?

Last edited: 27 Oct 2017
  10. sandys

sandys Multimodder

I'd recommend a water cooler, whether that's an AIO or simple custom loop.

11. sjhujh

sjhujh Minimodder

If you're on a budget and not gonna oc the chip I would recommend just sticking with the AMD stock cooler.... Save yourself the dough.

Recently helped build a R5 1600 rig and the stock cooler keeps the chip well cooled....

12. Dreamcometru

Dreamcometru Minimodder

ok i've tweaked the build a bit. would appreciate comments

new boomstick

thanks in advance

13. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Obvious comment would be get the cheapest 1070Ti, they are on pre-order cheaper than the 1070 you have, so a no brainer.

I’d also be tempted to raid0 the hard drive with 2 smaller rather that have 1 big one as that is where most of your data is going to be installed it will speed it up no end.

In addition if you are on a budget and want performance out of the Ryzen, I would be tempted to ditch the cooler and add the funds to the RAM to at least get 3000/3200 level. OCuk has CL14 3200 in budget.

14. Dreamcometru

Dreamcometru Minimodder

i dont think that mobo is compatible with 3000/3200 ram might be tempted to get the ti tho. thanks

15. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

FWIW I'd try to save some money on the case unless you're set on the Raven RV01B-W and look at getting an M.2 SSD instead of the 250GB Hynix SATA III, and also faster RAM as Ryzen responds well to faster (3000Mhz) RAM.

Also if you have a license for an old version of windows (7/8.1) you could probably save £100 by taking advantage of the accessibility site trick.

The Asus Prime B350-PLUS is compatible with faster RAM however anything faster than the default 2666Mhz would be considered to be overclocked.

16. Dreamcometru

Dreamcometru Minimodder

will the mobo automatically account for the faster ram or will i manually have to tweak things?

17. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

It would probably default to 2133Mhz so you'd need to tweak things to take advantage of the higher clock speeds, Asus publish a list of QVL's for each MoBo that lists RAM from different vendors and the settings they qualified for use in the board.

18. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Its not official support anything over 2666 is considered overclocking, it is what most do. Asus have even qualified 3200 RAM on that board :) in the list Corky posted.

You will have to set it up no matter which RAM you buy as they default to 2133 until you select XMP or what ever the Mobo manufacturer calls it.

19. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Personally I would not waste my money on G-sync. There are various ways of getting a good sync on Nvidia now. Firstly you have Adaptive Vsync. This works well with fast cards (per resolution) because it enables Vsync and then if your framerate drops suddenly it disables Vsync. This sounds a bit dodgy, but basically you only see tearing when the FPS exceeds the refresh rate of the screen. Thus, you never get any tearing at all using Adaptive Vsync and you don't get any input lag either when the frames drop. I have found it very effective over the past few years but it works better if you have a powerful GPU.

Then there is Fast Sync which basically disables Vsync and runs by itself, allowing you limitless FPS. However, this breaks certain games (like Fallout 4 etc). In all honesty G-sync is becoming a bit pointless. Nvidia could have easily done it without the module IMO.

Also don't be afraid of buying a 1080p monitor. I will tell you why.. Basically I used to game at 1440p with a Titan XM (Maxwell, hence the M) and it was about as fast as a 1070. At 1440p certain games with very high detail started to creak a little. I was seeing FPS in the low 30s (Deus Ex) and so on with more modern games. However, you can use something on Nvidia cards called DSR (or Dynamic Super Resolution). What this does is allow you to run games at a higher resolution than your monitor can handle. It's very clever and works well in most of the big games. This means you can drive the game up to 4k if you so wish with only a 1080p screen. It also allows you to say "uncle" when the resolution is too much which is very handy. IE - with a 1070 for high FPS you will want to run some games at 1080p. If you want a solid 1440p card that can handle anything then you want a 1080 or better, or, a 1070Ti depending on how good they turn out to be.

Either way don't buy a GPU until the 1070Ti is out. There is quite a massive difference between the 1070 and 1080 (so you can't catch a 1080 with a 1070 no matter how much you OC it) so yeah, you wouldn't want to make a hefty investment only to find you could have had 20%+ more performance for another forty quid or so.

Edit, missed a question. DO NOT. REPEAT DO NOT get a 4k screen that is sub 28".Some apps like Photoshop do not scale so they are literally so tiny you can't see them. Even with a 28" 4k screen I could not use it, it required far too much squinting.

20. Dreamcometru

Dreamcometru Minimodder

So all I have to do is turn on the XPM in the bios? Or do I have to fiddle with voltages and stuff?

Also sadly I’m on a strict £1500 budget but I’m also going to need a desk so I need to shave off some expenses somewhere to account for that. Maybe downgrade the raven case? I do already have a 1tb hard drive wiith windows 10 on it but it’s slower now from years of use. I wonder if I should remove the ssd and hdd and just stick with the old hdd to save some cash for a desk