1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting data from a dying Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by drift, 21 Feb 2008.

1. drift

drift What's a Dremel?

Hi again, I currently have a Western Digital 250gig hard drive on the blink, i had windows XP on it with a password protected user account on it. however i've replaced the hard drive now as it would restart when i tired restoring windows on it. I want to retrieve all the data on it but i cant as it says i have restricted access (its now in a external case connected by sata) is there anyway to remove the protection and retrieve all the documents? Thanks!

2. Smegwarrior

Smegwarrior Fighting the war on smeg

Install XP on another HDD and then connect the dying one as a slave drive and save everything off it.

3. drift

drift What's a Dremel?

I've installed XP onto another hard drive and tried however the dying HDD's XP account is password protected and made private so i cant go to "x:\windows\documents and settings\user name" as it says it has restricted access, i need to somehow make that account into a public one so i can access the data.

Last edited: 21 Feb 2008
  4. Tidy_Boy

Tidy_Boy What's a Dremel?

I maybe wrong but i thought it was possible to log into XP via safe mode using the administrator account and change the NTFS permissions that way. Give it a go.

5. Zyphron

Zyphron What's a Dremel?

ive had that issue with Win XP, i put win2k on a seprate drive and took all the Rights to the files and permissions over via the admin options in win 2k. not sure if you have stricter contorls on your system. but this worked for me.