1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Google rolls out Chrome 10

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 9 Mar 2011.

1. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    And fully customizable.

2. Denis_iii

Denis_iii What's a Dremel?

Chrome......
    Incompatibility with certain websites still evident? (IE and Firefox 3 + 4 Beta don't have)
    Wierd crashes caused likely by Flash still evident? (Firefox beta doesn't, Opera awesome flash control)
    Opening PDF's within browser or from browser to external app still evident?
    Still unable to limit cache size from within settings?
    Installation becoming corrupted and require re-install still evident?
    Still doesn't remember used url's and download links? (Firefox 4 also does this which PISSES me off)

From my experience Chrome is the WORST browser currently available.
    Firefox the best. Opera would be the best aside from incompatibility/bugs with certain websites.
    High hopes for IE9.

3. schmidtbag

schmidtbag What's a Dremel?

What websites aren't compatible with chrome? Keep in mind, IE is the problem with the internet. IE alone is the cause for web developers to not use advanced features that all other browsers, including chrome, support. even though ie9 has html5 support, it is still missing handfulls of features.
    I use chrome on a 900mhz celeron netbook and flash never causes crashes. My favorite browser is Opera and that I get problems with crashes due to flash.
    I admit cache size would be nice to limit.
    The only time my install got corrupt was when I switched from the latest beta of chrome to the last stable release of chromium.
    Chrome definitely remembers visited URLs, but i'm not sure about download links.

Keep in mind I do use the linux version of chrome (which from what I noticed on their changelog blog encounters the least fixes) but i know many people who use chrome in windows and don't get all of these problems.

4. TSDAdam

TSDAdam Beard!

You can limit the cache size in Chrome, but not from the UI.

There's a command line option - 'disk-cache-size'

I have no trouble with Chrome at all, it's by far my favourite browser now, but saying that, I love the latest beta of Firefox 4 so will be giving the final release some time too :)

5. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

opera tick load plugins on demand (under content I think ) this option dropped RAM use by 400mb on ny system (i do have like 50+ tabs open or grouped)

Chrome get the flashblock add-on

both are very useful on low end systems or to block bit-tech O2 flash ads or users who have lots of tabs open like me, but only opera is good for constant 20-60 tabs open (more so when you open opera with 50 tabs as chrome just kills the hdd in i/o)

bit-tech tell your ad sponsors to not use flash ads

6. ptah

ptah What's a Dremel?

There is no way I would run a browser designed by a search engine provider. That would be like having the IRS prepare my taxes or a real estate agent setting setting the sale price of my home.

Ask yourself ... where is the add block add on?

7. schmidtbag

schmidtbag What's a Dremel?

i see what you mean but chrome is open source (chromium) so its not like they can hide much. and what do you mean by "ad block"? i'm not aware of any browser that has an "add on" for that other than IE, usually its a built-in feature

8. sausages

sausages What's a Dremel?

I think Firefox is > all the others.

9. impar

impar Minimodder

10. CraZy

CraZy Cöstom úser tætel

11. ssj12

ssj12 Minimodder

12. ptah

ptah What's a Dremel?

I understand that it is open source, but to 85% of users that means nothing. Less than 1% will look at the code with understanding and if anything is said, maybe 14% will really pay attention.

Google can effectively shape the way people access the web. They will have control of the front door and the back door. I don't think it is a good idea (for me, anyway). Seems like common sense.

I like to be able to block adds and flash when feel like it. Some people may quit their day job and build "extensions" (sorry, not add-ons as I previously said) but an add block extension will never be officially supported by Google because that is how they make their money.

I've run Chrome on my Linux system; have not seen a speed increase enough to justify giving up the best. I want total control of my online experience.

Tags: Add Tags