1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Google Wave killed off

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 5 Aug 2010.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. DriftCarl

DriftCarl Minimodder

It is refreshing to see googles attempts at various projects and then canning it if it doesnt work.
    Many other companies would push their projects to the brink and keep insisting that its "good".
    I do hope google keep trying new things

3. void

void What's a Dremel?

This is surprising. Everyone, including Google was so positive about Wave.

Wonder what went wrong?

4. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

No bugger uses it!

5. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

I love google's attitude to projects - try it, if it doesn't work then no biggie. Might not be the best business model for others to follow, but with so much money sloshing around I suppose it doesn't matter to them at all.

6. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Exactly. In my case, I remember hearing about Wave, seeing videos on it long before it was released, and eventually getting access to it. I was so excited. Then I opened it up, and it crashed. And I opened it, and it crashed. What they were trying to do was clearly very complicated, but if you can't make the damn thing work then who's going to use it?

7. J05H11E

J05H11E Fujitsu Technical Analyst

Never used it, I remember seeing all the hype about it, but it didn't interest me.

8. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

Never heard of it, did I miss anything?

9. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

Not really Mike, it was interesting as a tech demo but like others have said, no-one used it and most couldn't figure out a use for it.

10. rickysio

rickysio N900 | HJE900

So now he's Eric Chmidt?

So where did Schmidt run off to?

11. PureSilver

PureSilver E-tailer Tailor

I tried it, couldn't see practical advantages, and stopped using it. It sounds like everyone else did too...

12. CharlO

CharlO What's a Dremel?

Oh! It was awesome to work in Projects for college... Guess they implemented most in GDocs nevertheless...

13. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

It was a clever idea but I could never really see a situation where people would willingly use it. It seemed quite a steep learning curve to achieve something most people have never realised is a problem.

14. memeroot

memeroot aged and experianced

a brilliant product sadly lost due to the stupidity of users :-(

google wave I'll miss you

15. paisa666

paisa666 I WILL END YOU!!!

Skynet Google plans to take over the world get a litle tiny set back, we all can sleep without worries just one more night :)

16. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I didn't even get to try it :(
    No wonder it wasn't adopted widely enough, i didn't even know it was public yet. Damnit.

17. SlickGnome

SlickGnome What's a Dremel?

I liked the product, but for personal use it was rather useless. I was kind of looking for a release though to give it some feasibility testing at work.

18. Deadpunkdave

Deadpunkdave ...why you need a 20-sided die

We live in an age where computers are used to do things we would do anyway, but faster, more precisely or in some way better or more conveniently. Creating a document by simultaneously having 5 people drawing on the same piece of paper is not an improvement on how a team actually functions, and there are far better electronic and physical ways of doing it which adhere to a structured methodology which everyone can easily learn, rather than being a free-for-all as wave was.

19. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

So does this mean that email won't be re-invented?

20. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

If no one else has seen the need to re-invent it in the last 20 or 30 years even with all the advances in technology and communications infrastructure, that's probably a sign that it doesn't need re-inventing. Google tried to combine e-mail, IM and social networking, but forgot that most people use them for different things, so their existence as separate forms of communication actually suits most people better.

The reason it failed is that most people are set in their ways (including me), which is understandable given how little e-mail has changed over the years, so when presented with this completely new idea we were all pretty confused by it. It didn't help that it had limited access at the start, either. While that did do a good job of building up hype, if you did actually want to talk to someone on Wave there was a good change that they didn't have an invite, so just left it and never returned.

It wasn't necessarily the implementation of the idea that was bad, I just think it was a bad idea to begin with, or perhaps more the timing of it. If Wave was around 10 years ago it'd probably still be around now.

Tags: Add Tags