1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Governator to defend California game law

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 8 Aug 2007.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. Hells_Bliss

Hells_Bliss What's a Dremel?

wellll honestly, a 13 year-old doesn't need to be playing man-hunt, doom 3, or some other incredibly gory, realistic games. If they can't get into movies at that age, why should they be able to play something that is so much more interactive.

Of course, there shouldn't need to be laws for this, parents should be censoring what their children watch/play

3. Mister_X

Mister_X Chaotic Neutral

I certainly think games should be regulated and properly so, The media is very quick to blame violent games for all the ills of society. Parents of kids need to take responsibility for what their hellspawn er I mean children play and do in their formative years.
    One rating system to rule them all. legally and sensibly enforced.

4. christoefar

christoefar What's a Dremel?

c**p, games are already given a rating, whats the point??

5. Hells_Bliss

Hells_Bliss What's a Dremel?

the ESRB rating is an voluntary industry rating system, it's not required by the game makers to give their game a rating. This rating that Arnie wants to put in is a legal rating system with penalties

6. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

Which is what the UK has with the BBFC.

Oh, and it's what Jack Thompson has been campaigning for.

7. riggs

riggs ^_^

Just out of interest, what's the penalty for selling ciggies/booze to minors?

$1000 seems a bit steep...I mean come on, they're only games.
    No doubt JT is loving the idea of this...

WHAT!? You're kidding right? Ok, so the 'story' is crap, but the one-liners are brilliant! :D

8. ohcyt

ohcyt What's a Dremel?

I think it's not a bad idea. Some of these games are really filthy, and that's ok but most parents don't realize what their kids play. Yes it is their fault if their kids play games that are not suitable for them, but I think regulation like this is a good step towards better parental control, which many kids need tbh. It will ensure that parents look into the games their kids play, and the games that will get these ratings will be the ones they really should make a decision for.
    I know I'll be really looking over my childrens shoulder (whenever I get them (A) ) to make sure they won't play Soldier of Fortune with full gore from age 13 like I did ;)

9. quack

quack Minimodder

It's a shame that JT is such a jackass though. :D

10. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

I agree fully with the first part. The problem, however, is any definitions will likely be abused (don't like blood, ok, we'll make a game exactly like manhunt 2 with all the sadism but no blood). Also, children are effected differently by cartoon violence than by that from or to realistic looking people - but where is that line of realism crossed? (earlier games with people look almost cartoonish by today's standards).

As for the hypocrisy charge that was my first thought too. I wonder how much of this comes form his own beliefs - though it is highly possible that his have changed from when he was younger. It is also possible that he may acknowledge his past work as violent and claim that it was intended only for an adult audience thus there would be no hypocrisy in his stance.

11. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

True, but it's only because everyone else screams "You're persecuting the common man!"

12. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

That film is great, full of comedy.

13. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Very good point. Censorship usually runs into problems when censorship boards go into paranoia overdrive. It's the equivalent of someone going all Enforcer as soon as he joins Mall Security --the badge, uniform and maglite sort of go to his head.

As a result censorship boards see problems everywhere:
    And Censorship Boards also tend to exceed their remit:
    Interestingly, I see the same with Research Ethics boards --they often overstep their remit to comment on technical issues such as research method and statistics of which they have no real understanding... Actually understanding seems to be lacking on all levels: one colleague who wanted to develop a sex education programme for adults with learning disabilities (which helps protect them from becoming victims of sexual abuse and teaches them how to behave appropriately sexually) was told that he was not allowed to use the words "penis" or "vagina" but had to use euphemisms like "willy". Talk about infantilising... Needless to say he had to abandon the project.

I think Arnie's relationship to his violent action hero work is a bit complex. If you watch Last Action Hero you'll know what I mean. But the message in that film went totally over the head of the audience, which proves once again that when you try to appeal to the common denominator, you can never aim low enough.

14. Spaceraver

Spaceraver Ultralurker

I need to use an acronym i seldom use.. WTF

15. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

:jawdrop: I totally forgot about that one (something about blocking bad memories I think). I didn't see it in the theaters and have only seen parts of it on TV. Now you're almost making me want to watch it.

16. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

I stand behind it 100%, in fact even when I use to work at GameCrazy I would stick to the rating system, lol there was one time a Mother came in saying I wouldnt sell her sun GTA San Andreas to her 12 year old son and she was u set, I told her it had severe language, sex, blood and gore, and other excessive violence and has a mature rating, she was like uh huh right, so she buys the game and then the next day comes into our store to chew me out about how bad this game is for kids, I flat out laughed my ass off and even my manager was there and was like NO **** thats what we tried telling you yesterday lol she was like well I will listen better next time, it was such a OMG you shouldnt breed kind of moments. =p

17. Bungle

Bungle Rainbow Warrior

I imagine that's all too common. The art of conversation seems to be lost to many. What's these things on the side of my head again..oh yes ears.:wallbash:

18. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

Hence the issue with "activist judges" - those who attempt to legislate from the bench by drawing their own definitions to terms used in moral issues. As Tynisar said, the definitions could be abused...that's why we need clear, codified definitions rather than the nebulous ones. We need to avoid the idea of "I can't define obscenity, but I know it when I see it." THAT can then make a system like this work.

The thing that drives me crazy about it - they can do that for dog breeds, so why not this? The whole Kennel Club idea is drawn upon the "written breed standard." If someone (like a show judge) bases a decision on that but deviates from an expected outcome, the reasoning is clearly laid out. Surely there can be clearer ideas in this definition than "a properly sharp snout."

19. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

I think 1,000 is a bit much

Tags: Add Tags