1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News GPD launches Pocket computer crowdfunding campaign

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 15 Feb 2017.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

So it's basically a modern Psion Series 5mx or Series 7?

Had a 5mx for years... loved it. Ribbon cable to the screen eventually gave up. A real pity. :(

3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

That is exactly why I want one. I mean, can you imagine if this thing lived up to its promise? My operating system of choice with a decent amount of computing power behind it and a 12-hour battery life, in something I can put in a pocket instead of a backpack? Yes please!

I'm just not sure GPD's the company to do it: the GPD Win hasn't been a flawless delivery. If any startup out there's looking for a project: build me one of these below £500 (and with a sunlight readable display if you want bonus points) and I'll buy it.

4. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

Isn't it a bit suspicious that they're posting the same price for the Ubuntu and Windows versions. Although they'd seem to qualify for the discounted/free Windows version with 4GB or less of RAM and low end CPU the 128GB of eMMC storage would normally rule that out.

I'd have been tempted if I hadn't read the feedback for the 'GPD Win'. They don't look trustworthy to deal with if any problems occur.

I loved my Psion 5s despite having 7 of them, all failing on the screen/backlight. It was the only device I ever paid for breakdown warranty which kept me running with replacements for nearly 5 years. I must have had second sight at the time.

5. Gareth Halfacree

They claim that, if anything, they should have to charge more for the Ubuntu version 'cos they're developing a custom driver (or drivers) - though they haven't said exactly what the driver runs, so take that with a pinch of salt.

6. Taua

Taua What's a Dremel?

The Psion series 3/3a/3mx is my favourite handheld design ever....a 5mx is still a functional machine too as you can easily swap files too/from with a compact flash card, and replacement screen cables are easily available on ebay...unlike the revo which needs that serial cradle and will need it's battery pack replacing long ago.

7. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

I'd settle for that, but also want it working off AA batteries. If it does that, 12 hours of battery isn't quite so essential (I always end up lugging around a few spare AA and AAA batteries as invariably the battery in the laser pointer dies just before the presentation... (or whatever)...

I'd also happily move backwards toward a monochrome screen as that helps readability in sunlight tremendously. For a 'pocket' device; I need it to work on documents, (and possibly record short audio clips) not be a multimedia machine.

Thing is, there's not much that a moderately priced smartphone with bluetooth keyboard (and possibly one of those partable chargers) can't do. It's just that it's less convenient than having it 'all in one'.

Which is of course why I want a 5mx successor. ;)

8. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

Love the idea, but not enough to risk it.

9. jb0

jb0 Minimodder

Feedback nothin'.

From the GPD Win website:
    "customer service 1900 - 123 - 4567"

There's fake, and then there's blatantly fake.

10. MightyBenihana

MightyBenihana Do or do not, there is no try

They are missing a trick I feel by not putting a solar panel on the lid.

11. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

I want this so badly. But I'd rather not give my money to a company with a crowd funding track record like theirs.

12. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

+1

This would be perfect for me but it's a little too much of a risk, I'd happily buy one at retail though.

13. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Apparently, having a sub 7-inch screen is also a point in their favour towards free W10 licences.