1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Graphics card bundles - do you care?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Tim S, 10 Mar 2008.

?

Do you see value in graphics card bundles?

1. Yes - If there's a game included, it usually influences my buying decision.

11 vote(s)
    4.9%
  2. Yes - The warranty is important to me.

37 vote(s)
    16.4%
  3. Yes - But I only want the required cables/connectors. I don't want a game bundle.

86 vote(s)
    38.1%
  4. Yes - All of the above.

29 vote(s)
    12.8%
  5. No - Give me a white box with just the card.

63 vote(s)
    27.9%
  1. Tim S

Tim S OG

I'm just carrying on a debate here we've been having in the office - do you see value in a fully-featured graphics card bundle (i.e. one with games, all the cables, etc)?

2. badders

badders Neuken in de Keuken

Only Cables and connectors.
    I won't avoid a card that comes with a game, but I won't go for the one with the game if it costs more.
    Unless of course it was a game I was going to buy anyway - but that doesn't come along very often...

3. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

I'm generally not very bothered about bundled games. All being equal between two cards, I'd pick the one with the games, but that's not usually the case.

I'd take slightly more notice of a single great game than a few second-rate ones. The only bundle games I recall playing were ones I would have bought anyway: COD2 and HL2. Even then, the games weren't a deciding factor in picking a card, just a nice bonus when the card arrived.

4. ConKbot of Doom

ConKbot of Doom Minimodder

Games dont really influence me, but I do like a nice warranty, and connectors/adaptors are nice. I do believe I have half a dozen DVI-VGA adaptors laying around. :lol:

5. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

i was going to vote 'cables/connectors' but then i realise i have a whole shelf full of dvi->vga adaptors and other such crap now
    if its got some kind of proprietary video in/out dongle thingy then that should be in the box but otherwise, just dont give a **** :)

6. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

Never made a decision based on the bundle, the only thing that might sway me to buying a more expensive card (again all other things equal) would be a better warranty. But tbh i'd usually go for either the one with the custom quiet cooler or the cheapest reference card.

7. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Some of the adaptors come in handy, and drivers are always useful to get a rig of the groung.

I'm not to fussed about Stickers, T-Shirts and games.

8. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

I'll always take the one with a better warranty, but other than that I don't care - the games usually end up in their box gathering dust anyway...

9. crazybob

crazybob Voice of Reason

I usually just look at the cables and the warranty. Some random game bundled in won't change my purchase decision any. However, if the game is something I was planning to buy anyway, then it'll definitely influence my decision.

10. mutznutz

mutznutz Cos Ive got a beard u label me evil

Cables are good imo

You can never have too many cables or connectors

11. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

I don't think I've ever installed any of the games that come with the cards. They're usually mediocre games that I wouldn't have got anyway. I tend not to even install the drivers CD, I jump straight on the intertubes for that.

If there are any proprietary connectors, I'd expect those to be in the box, but I don't expect anything else.

If a manufacturer released a version of a card with the junk and without the junk, I'd plump for the "without junk" option every time.

12. mushky

mushky gimme snails

I choose the cheapest one, usually reference design. I wouldn't mind if it arrived (in one piece) in bubble wrap, I always get the latest drivers off the net anyway. Proprietary cables and connectors are needed as well, for things like breakouts and VIVO stuff.

13. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

As long as the cards arrive for free to my door step - gief teh maximum bundle! Though the last card I bought - MSI GF6600 - went totally over board with 13 CDs included in the bundle! Somewhat made me lol, there were a total of three full games included in the bundle.

Warranty does matter to me, haven't really changed any but HDDs, but as long as the price doesn't bump too much, I go for a warranty longer than 12 months.

EDIT: I would like to see OEM and retails versions really. One with just the video output cable/adapter and one with current bundle. Dunno how much this would lower the cost, though.

Last edited: 10 Mar 2008
  14. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Same here, especially since I use Linux, drivers for which are NEVER on the CD, and the games probably won't run anyway. (I only just got Far Cry to work 3 months ago!)

15. b1g-d0g

b1g-d0g Multimodder

Card and cables is all that`s needed tbh.

16. Hazardous

Hazardous What's a Dremel?

A good warranty is important... but other than that... card 'n' cables only for me as well.
    The games included with cards, are almost always games which have been out for a while anyway, and which we'll likely already own - if it's our type of game.

OK... so many of the games included with cards are 'optimized', to help emphasise the card's capabilities.
    But I'd imagine the 'standard' game played with the same card installed, can be made to look equally as good, simply by tweaking the graphics settings :idea:

17. Delphium

Delphium Eyefinity enabled

A Gainward fanboy here, cables and warrenty Cheesecake, not interested in the games.

18. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

Cables and card. As long as it has that I'll go with the cheapest version. I did that with my 8800GT (it did help that it was the only one in stock too!). :)

19. tssen

tssen What's a Dremel?

I just want the card. The package and bundle doesn't interest me.

20. Brett89

Brett89 Minimodder

After 3 graphics cards, only thing i've used it the DVI to VGA adapter to set up my computer in the test room. if it comes with a free game, awesome, but i wouldn't pay a premium for it.