1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Graphics card to play witcher 3

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by fantastic dan, 13 May 2015.

1. fantastic dan

fantastic dan Minimodder

As title. My max budget is 100 quid delivered and the other requirement is that it supports dual analogue outputs. It doesn't need 2 vga on the card, dvi/display port with adapters is fine as long as it supports 2 analogue display output as both my monitors are vga.

Cheers :)

Last edited by a moderator: 13 May 2015
  2. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

I've got to be honest, I don't think you'll find high-end cards today that will support two analogue ports. They were phased out a long time ago. The graphics cards also (usually) don't come with the adapters required, only one if you're lucky... if any at all.

Sorry to throw it off track. I believe that's how it is though. I've not bought a "new" GPU in a long time.

3. fantastic dan

fantastic dan Minimodder

Hmm, but of a pain if that's the case but I suppose it is what it is.

4. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

I tend to agree with TMDD, if you are lucky you will find a single DVI-I output that you can bung a VGA adaptor on, but I've not seen a modern card with double analogue support in some years now.

5. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

Usually (or at least until very recently) cards have a single DVI with passive VGA adaptor capability. My R9 270 does anyway.

For the second screen (or both if DVI to VGA is not an option) well reviewed Display Port to VGA adaptors and cables can be had on Amazon for about a tenner or so.

EDIT: Regarding a card that can play Witcher 3 for that price, I feel like you might struggle. Maybe a slightly over budget 280X or something would be a possibility. I'd definitely wait for the game to be released and in how it runs on different hardware in the wild (ahem).

Last edited: 13 May 2015
  6. Shirty

Good call, I've never had cause to play with a true digital to analogue converter (since DVI-I passes both signals), but it sounds like exactly what's needed.

I'd agree, you're looking at a minimum of a 680/770 from Nvidia or a 7970/280X from AMD, all of which are over-budget.

What res are your two VGA monitors?

7. fantastic dan

fantastic dan Minimodder

Ah no worries, I was reading that a 660 or 7870 would play it which I thought would be in budget. Wasn't trying to extend beyond my reach :). I'll probably just close this as we're heading into discussion territory and I don't want to clutter the area up :).

Thanks for everyone's response.

8. wolfticket

Shame. this is actually quite an interesting discussion for me :)

Before you go I noticed you could get a GTX 960 for £144 with The Witcher 3 bundled: http://www.scan.co.uk/products/2gb-...hz-boost-1228mhz-cores-1024-dvi-i-dvi-d-dp-12

It actually doesn't perform as well as the 770 or 280X (albeit it's more efficient), and it's still over budget, but it seems like a good price for a brand new card and the game.

Presumably since it's bundled it will run in some shape or form?

9. Shirty

Unless Dan asks me to reverse my decision I've moved this to hardware for now. I think this will be a popular question in the coming weeks, and it will allow more views and discussion here than in the marketplace.

I'm sure the game will scale reasonably well and run just fine at medium settings on last gen hardware, but it's the dual monitor setup that concerns me in this instance.

10. wolfticket

Seems sensible, although maybe not helpful if someone does want to offer a 770/280X with dual analogue outputs for £100inc :)
    Yeah, I would imagine it scales fairly well. That is the feeling I get anyway. CDPR are generally pretty good in that regard I think.
    I'm waiting for release for a better idea of exactly how well though.

I assumed the dual monitor setup is for productivity rather than gaming, but I could be wrong.

11. Shirty

Well if needs be it can become a wanted thread again :)

I presumed the same regarding the monitors, and that the OP wishes to game on one (probably at 1050p or lower) whilst keeping the other available for everything else. In which case an upper mid-range card from the previous generation might well suffice.