1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Graphics drivers crashed?

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by mattyh1995, 16 Oct 2012.

1. mattyh1995

mattyh1995 Minimodder

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtvHClgWPpo&feature=youtu.be

As seen in this crudely recorded video using the example of WoW, after 20 or so seconds, the colours balls up and I get a CTD.

I run WoW in max graphics on my KFA2/Nvidia GTX580 Anarchy Edition on the latest drivers (306.97) without any overclocks.

I think there's a problem with the GPU, say it isn't so?

Edit; Tried re-installing the drivers, it won't install. Keeps getting caught on "Update Components" and failing. Also tried reverting back to 296.10 with no luck, same failed installation.

Last edited: 16 Oct 2012
  2. daveh84

daveh84 What's a Dremel?

Have you tried a driver sweep? Is this also only with WoW or everything?

3. mattyh1995

mattyh1995 Minimodder

Nope, that's next on my list of things, and it's happened on a few other games. Off the top of my head, War of the Roses and Battlefield 3 are two of the other games.

4. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

When you install Nvidia drivers, go under advance:
    -> Remove all Nvidia 3D stuff
    -> Check the box to perform a clean install. Your computer might need to restart to finish the setup.

If the problem persists, look at GPU temperature.

5. mattyh1995

mattyh1995 Minimodder

I removed everything with the name Nvidia in Control Panel, I also did a clean install, but that failed. Still catching on the Update Components bit

6. GoodBytes

Do you have MSI afterburner or EVGA precision or any OC software installed? If so, EVEN if you don't use them, remove them, restart your computer and see if it helps.

Also, you haven't said if your temperature of your GPU are fine or not. Please check your GPU temperature. What are they?

Is your computer overclocked? If so, load everything back to default (feel free to write your OC configuration down on paper, so that you can put it back and adjust it, if that's the problem).

7. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

Try uninstall the hardware from device manager, make sure to check the remove software box. It's the best way to do clean uninstall, as it will make sure to delete any left over files in system32/drivers, etc that the standard uninstaller may miss or leave. Reboot, and try install again.

8. mattyh1995

mattyh1995 Minimodder

GoodBytes;
    I had EVGA precision but I removed that, the temps peak at 65C in games and I reset my overclocks a few days ago.
    lysol;
    I tried that too, nothing :(

I have narrowed it down so that it only seems to affect me in DX11 games, the main ones being Battlefield 3 and WoW in DX11 mode. This just makes me think that my GPU's packed in, thoughts?

I think the War of the Roses crash was due to the game being insanely buggy, since it's not on DX11. I did experience a few texture issues and artifacts in that game as well as this sort of crash.

9. GoodBytes

Did you try older drivers? how about even older ones than the previous ones?

If those don't work, than something is probably broken in your GPU.

10. mattyh1995

mattyh1995 Minimodder

I tried another driver package from the 3XX.XX, and two others from 2XX.XX.
    Hope it's not broken, can't afford to replace it

11. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

Try testing it in another pc, if it has the same problem it is developed a fault.

12. mattyh1995

mattyh1995 Minimodder

I don't have another PC to test it in, and the only person I know with an "above par" system doesn't have enough power to run a 580. I'll just buy a new card or something, been looking at a 670 anyway

13. daveh84

daveh84 What's a Dremel?

No warranty left on it?

14. Speed

Speed I'm all you need!

15. mattyh1995

mattyh1995 Minimodder

Back to this puzzling topic.

I took it back to Scan for testing and after 2 or so hours they said that no errors had occurred with them :S Could this sort of fault be a power issue instead or something?

16. Speed

Speed I'm all you need!

Could be yes. Have you done a fresh install to try and completely rule out software issues? Easy enough if you have a spare hard drive. Just install the basics, latest drivers (chipset, graphics, sound, SATA etc) and a game that shows the issue, see if you can recreate it.

What PSU is it? the TX750 in your signature?

17. mattyh1995

mattyh1995 Minimodder

Yeah, I've done a few. And yeah it is, it's more than enough for a 580 I know.. But I'm just wondering, could there be something stopping it getting the power or whatever?

18. Speed

Speed I'm all you need!

Well it could be faulty. First double check all the power connectors to the board are seated properly along with the PCI-E power connectors to the card. Also check the cables to make sure the pins are all level and clean, just so you know they are making proper contact.

I assume you've tried all the outputs on the back of the card? Ruled out the monitor and data cables?

Beyond that its likely going to be a case of buying a new PSU and seeing if it solves the issue. If it does, RMA the other one back to the retailer so you don't have too much downtime, if it doesn't solve the problem DSR the new one back to the retailer.

19. mattyh1995

mattyh1995 Minimodder

Well. I just got an e-mail from Scan. The card was actually faulty and they've sent it back to KFA2, waiting on a repair/replacement now.

Thanks for you help though guys :D

20. Speed

Speed I'm all you need!

Heh. Silly Scan missing the fault the first time!