1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals Graphics Tablet help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by shoxicwaste, 9 Sep 2010.

1. shoxicwaste

shoxicwaste Minimodder

Afternoon all!

I have never in my life used or considered a Graphics Tablet, however the last few weeks it's been on my mind.

I would like to get a nice graphics tablet main uses:

3D modelling software,
    Photoshop,
    Flash,

however i don't know what price range i should be looking, obviously i don't want one that's £300 but on the same note i don't think i should be getting one worth £25.

So any reccomendations would be great help!

Price range £30-£90

2. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Wacom are generally accepted as the industry standard. This strikes me as a good starter model.

3. StephenK

StephenK Sneak 'em Upper

I've used a few tablets over the years. The small bamboo is a great little brother of the bigger pads. You might see a very similar model called the Bamboo Fun, if you already have graphics software then don't spend the extra cash on this tablet as they're essentially the same.

4. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

5. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

How seriously do you want to use it?

I bought the Wacom 3 as a treat for myself and whilst I don't use it all that often, it's a dream when I do. It's expensive, yes, and I definitely could have settled for a bamboo.

If price is no object and you want to do semi-pro/use it for work stuff, then the new Intuos 4
    If it's for a hobby then save the cash and get an A5/A4 size bamboo.
    It's horrible for Illustrator (and therefore probably flash) but wonderful for Photoshop
    Never done any modelling so no idea how that works....

Some examples of work that I've managed to do with it in Photoshop after not that long using it: http://willchan.net/imagery3.html
    the 'birthday present' took me 3 hours or so. Your photoshop work rate improves dramatically, it's really nice with any tablet.

Oh, and if you can get a scroll wheel or something on the pen then great :)

6. brighty22

brighty22 What's a Dremel?

I have a wacom bamboo pen & touch.... tbh I probably should have got just the pen.. but there was hardly any price difference so meh :)

If you already have photoshop/autodesk etc, don't go for the 'fun' bamboo range... the only difference is the colour and included software - I emailed wacom sales for advice and they told me this.

hope this helps :thumb:

7. Yslen

Yslen Lord of the Twenty-Seventh Circle

from memory the pen & touch not only gives you touch controls, but you get a better pen too? the bamboo pen has 512 pressure levels and only one sensor, the pen & touch gives you 1024 sensitivity levels and a second sensor on the other end to use as an eraser?

8. Sunny Sahota

Sunny Sahota Saving up for my new rig

I'll try to dig mine out from the closet. I bought an A3 size tablet when i was vacationing in dubai years ago. Only bought it because the new salesperson screwed up and agreed on a price that i beleive got him sacked (the manager was shouting and poking him in arabic, so im assuming he got the sack :))

We haggled on the price and he agreed 300 dhurams (for an A3 tablet!!!) hence the purchase.
    Not used it once since then, but now that i'm starting a design company, it might be time to get the old tablet out and give it a spin.

will post pics and details once i find it :thumb:

9. StephenK

StephenK Sneak 'em Upper

Holy cow that's awesome! Can I bring you with me to haggle next time I buy tech? :p

10. shoxicwaste

shoxicwaste Minimodder

thanks for all the feedback, looks like ill be waiting for a wacom bamboo until i next get paid!

11. brighty22

brighty22 What's a Dremel?

yep it has a pen and the other end is an eraser... that's why i got it... tbh 512 is plenty :rolleyes:

12. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

My sister has a huge Intuos3 and she loves it. IMO it's worth looking for used Intuos3s, I'm sure many professionals upgraded/are upgrading to the 4 and are dumping their old ones for not much $.

13. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

Probably true actually...although the intuos 4 has a circular touch pad making zooming a much nicer experience than the Intuos 3. It's a tweak worth paying for imho. And it has more quick buttons I think....