1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics GTX 1070 Watercooling Query/Overclocking

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by andreinuk, 7 Jul 2016.

1. andreinuk

andreinuk Minimodder

So I'm finally going to replace my old 7970 and I've been looking at the 1070 as a replacement.

Just have a few little queries regarding adding the card to my cooling loop really.

Firstly, GPU blocks.

Most seem to be either FE edition cards or either the ASUS Strix or Giga G1. Looking at the prices of the latter 2 this is probably a little bit more than I wanted to lay out when adding the cost of the block as well.
    Are the FE editions worth it to watercool?

Secondly warranty. Which makers can I look at that will still accept an RMA for a card if I have to return it. Obviously refitting the original cooler to the card when sending it wouldn't be a problem.

Does anyone currently have theirs under water?

Last edited: 9 Jul 2016
  2. teamtd11

teamtd11 *Custom User Title*

I have a 1080 under water, Bought a gigabyte founders edition card and never went past any warranty stickers on the way to putting a EK full face block on the card.

I can't say about the 1070 but I know the Asus and Gigabyte 1080 custom cards are custom boards so a full face block would not fit, There are some cards which just have a basic blower similar to the founders that use the same board so you keep block compatibility.

My 1080 can happily sit at 2.1ghz core and not go above 50°C
    Also moved from a HD7950 and enjoying the power ;)

3. andreinuk

andreinuk Minimodder

I had been toying with the idea of a 1080 but can't quite bring myself to spend so much.

Been wondering if the single 8 pin power on the 1070 will hold it back.

Starting to think the G1 maybe worth the extra.

4. teamtd11

the single 8pin will not hold it back, I never hit the power limit on the 1080.

andreinuk likes this.
  5. andreinuk

andreinuk Minimodder

Well I have ended up ordering an MSI GTX 1070 Armour OC from Ebuyer. Have checked the EK website to ensure that there is full cover block is able to be fitted.

Seemed to be a fairly decent price of £388 and should be delivered tomorrow.

Shiny Shiny Time.

Going to have to wait a week to order my gpu block but I simply couldn't wait any longer.

6. teamtd11

Sounds good! should be easy 2.1ghz

7. andreinuk

andreinuk Minimodder

If it gets close to the 2ghz mark I'll be more than happy. Decided to grab it as saves a bit on what the FE edition was going for.

As I only game at 2560 x 1080 I'm hoping the card will see me through for while and certainly should be a step up from the 7970 I currently have.

Will give an update on how the card is when I receive it and get it installed.

Cheers teamtd11 for your help.

8. andreinuk

andreinuk Minimodder

Well I have just had a little play with the card for a bit on afterburner and 3dmark.

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/13080168

Only have the free version so only includes firestrike at default settings.

Seems that I am only able to raise the power limit to 108% using the 4.3.0 beta version of afterburner but the card seems to settle at 2063mhz while running the benchmark.

I haven't really had much time to play around with the memory clocks or touch the voltage settings as still waiting to pick up the waterblock for it.

Anyone else had a bash with one of these?