1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Music Guitar Advice

Discussion in 'General' started by October, 28 May 2012.

1. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

[​IMG]

If you're getting a PRS, it had better be a Swamp Ash 513... literally jizz worthy guitars.

2. October

October Mariachi Style

This guy is awesome.

3. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

Lots of Ibanez talk, funny how they always get a prolonged mention. Not a bad thing either, I have an EDR470EX sat in it's case for extremely long periods; after a while I came to the conclusion that I ****ing hate floyd rose trems. That and the fact that it somehow magically got itself a tiny little chip in the paint work, hoyl crap I was livid, absolutely no explanation as to how it happened.

This one...(not my pic)

[​IMG]

I spend most of time playing a Greg Bennett Avion 1. Fairly simple but so nice to play and has no arsing around with trems on string change.

One of these...

[​IMG]

There is also a Gould Les Paul in purple but it doesn't get much play time since moving on to better things.

It is nice to look at though or so the missus tells me :lol:

[​IMG]

Yes, yes they are. If they did the Single-cut Hollowbody II in Swamp Ash I'd be a very, VERY happy man.

4. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

I would have that in a second if it didn't have that god awful, hideous red headstock :sigh:

5. October

October Mariachi Style

Agreed! Also I did get round to seeing the Tremonti in person, I like it but the neck is painted on the back...why??? Glossy black just isn't a good thing, it can't even be seen so why not leave it? A guitar needs to have visible wood somewhere other than the fingerboard... I'm thinking standard Singlecut SE might be the way to go, a few floating about the bay atm.

6. Landy_Ed

Landy_Ed Combat Novice

If you're admiring the woodgrain on your headstock when you're practicing your picado you're doing it wrong....;)

7. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

True, true indeed but don't you find that if you don't like the guitar you're playing, you don't tend to play as well as you might?

The point about the back of the neck is a valid one though. I find a gloss finish on the back of the neck is just horrid and unpleasant to play, it ends up with my hand sticking to it or at least becoming sweaty and gross :(

8. Landy_Ed

Landy_Ed Combat Novice

I've not found that to be an issue with mine, the Charvel has a high gloss finish & is a thin speed neck, whereas my PRS is a wide fat, slightly longer scale length I think, with a satin finish (as is my acoustic, but that's not really for the same thing). I actually find the satin surface is more prone to a sticky feeling than the gloss.
    Then again, early on when I was going through my "moar speeeeed" phase one thing I put a lot of effort into was avoiding putting the pressure on the back of the neck with my whole palm or gripping too tight generally as this affects pitch quite a lot & imo restricts reach.

9. Invictus.

Invictus. Minimodder

Tele's are awesome.. I have major wanteage over a 72' thinline tele for a few years now but dont have £1,200 odd to get one <.< However in my price range is a lovely RG570AHZ (natural finishes Cheesecake!) or a PRS SE Custom 24 in Purple burst (tis awesome tbh)

Anyway OT - Imo go for a PRS SE Custom 24 or something, offer best of both worlds with the 2012 range offering coil taps or if your set on a SC look at the SE 245. But really you should try before you buy with all things.

10. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

A trick I learned on High-Gloss necks is that if you find yourself sticking to the paint job, take some very fine-grain sandpaper, and sand it down a bit.
    A mate of mine did that on an older RG, and god lord, that thing is fast to play now...