1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Hard drive market set for double-digit slump

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 5 Feb 2013.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

The prices haven't fallen since the floods back to their original levels, while the prices and speeds of SSD's continue to fall to keep making them more attractive options.. that and more cloud based storage.

3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

And onto what does the cloud store that data? :p

4. sniperdude

sniperdude Minimodder

I want drives but I will wait till the prices drop

5. Dudey109

Dudey109 Minimodder

fluffy white clouds above our head. no HDDs required.

6. runadumb

runadumb What's a Dremel?

I'm after a 4TB drive for my NAS and maybe a new 2TB Desktop drive to replace my aging (and nearly full) 1TB one. Although as its mostly full of Steam games getting a 512GB SSD could also be an option...but maybe next year.

7. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

Couldn't care any less, as I don't have tons of data to begin with.

The workfiles from the last 10 years take up some 20GB (PSD, HTML, AI, JPG, etc), my MP3-files use some 60GB, and I'm not collecting much movies, maybe some 4-500GB of series and movies.

A 1 TB NAS (backup) + 32 GB (workfiles) and 64 GB (music) USB-stick is all I need really to store and backup my files :p

8. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

True. But, where as before 5 users would have 5 hard drives, with cloud storage 5 users could share a single cloud hard drive. Its a more efficient use of a single disk.

As for R&D on hard drives, I say screw it. Lets just move to SSDs make em big and cheap. Hard drives will eventually go the way of the dodo.

9. Xir

Xir Modder

Prices should be coming down, we're not down from the floodrelated pricehike yet.

10. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

if you are Intel, your storage is now mostly SSD based

11. SlowMotionSuicide

SlowMotionSuicide Come Hell or High Water

This.

My retailer of choice sold 1TB Spinpoint for 44,90 EUR just before the floods.
    Now the cheapest comparable drive goes for 81,00 EUR. Plenty of headroom to drop prices.

I do know I'd get better EUR/GB ratio from bigger drives, though. Still gonna sit tight and wait for prices to drop.

12. Gareth Halfacree

Not exactly: most cloud services are used in addition to local storage, rather than as a replacement for it. Take Dropbox, for example: you can't actually install the Dropbox client without it synchronising your files to your local PC.

Where that isn't the case is in mobile, where cloud storage is used instead of local storage - as with Google Music - but for desktops and laptops, the increasing popularity of cloud storage means more hard drive sales (the hard drive each user has anyway, plus a smaller number of larger hard drives for the datacentre) rather than fewer.

13. CampGareth

CampGareth What's a Dremel?

I'm still buying hard drives, until SSDs match them for price per GB they're gonna be useful. I mean I can't afford to pay for 3 512GB SSDs in my laptop, but I'll take 1 240GB SSD and a 1TB HDD. Oh and in my NAS 3TB drives are great, but then I store a lot of video, I'm a hoarder of sorts.

14. Ayrto

Ayrto What's a Dremel?

There's been consolidation since the floods, so will prices come down again? Not saying you've got cartel like price practices going on but 2TB drives could be had for as low as £46 pre- floods. Now they start at around £70

15. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

I think everyone is waiting for prices to come down. I have 5 physical drives in my current PC, 1x 1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x 500GB and 1x 250GB. I am waiting for to come down so I can fill a NAS caddie with 3TB or 4TB drives for a decent price and then have an SSD in my main system. At the current prices it is just too expensive to justify the move as I still have a little space on my current setup.

16. Weekly_Estimate

Weekly_Estimate Random bird noises.

2TB for £46? jesus how did i miss that!

17. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

oops I forgot about the local storage aspect of the cloud

18. Ayrto

Ayrto What's a Dremel?

They have come down quite a lot from their post-flood peak . But they're still at least 40 percent higher than before the flood.

19. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

ssd prices are actually climbing- pre xmas a crucial M4 could be had for £100 for a 256 ; now they are £150 and climbing.

but , hdd`s do need to drop in price - there`s no supply issues yet the prices are sky high , ergo punters wont buy them.

20. south side sammy

south side sammy What's a Dremel?

Last drive I purchased was right after the flood. Knew I would need one and knew they would be hard to get because of the flood and because of the panic. Price was 60 bucks, 20 more than I usually paid. They're still priced high. Why would I even think about buying one until the price comes back to something more sensible? I don't feel sorry for the market. I held off purchasing 6 drives in the past year. I took some I had and wiped them where I normally would have bought new.