1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HD problem

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by gm_crop, 19 May 2006.

1. gm_crop

gm_crop What's a Dremel?

I bought my first Sata HD :clap:

I cant install it properly :duh:

Basically, plugged in, windows detects it (in the Computer Management tool), but when I go to format, it just stops on 1%, and goes no further. It's a 200gb Seagate 7200.7

If anyone could shed any light on this I'd appreciate it :thumb:

2. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

I'd try using seagate discwizard. I've had it work on HDDs that even FDISK won't touch.

3. Hazardous

Hazardous What's a Dremel?

When you say "Computer Management tool"... did you right-click My Computer/Manage/Disk Management, and try formatting it in there - coz that should work :confused:

What are you going to be using it for, and what OS are you using?

If you intend using it as your primary drive, and you use Windows XP... just boot from the XP CD, and format it from there.
    Since this will be the first format of the new drive, you should do a FULL format - using the NTFS file system.

If you use an OS other than/older than XP... you might be better using a floppy boot disk, and formatting the drive from that?

4. gm_crop

gm_crop What's a Dremel?

Hmm, seems like even Discwizard can't get much from it, it apparently formats (In a minute :worried: ) but then is painfully slow, and infact it has now just crashed my pc :rolleyes:

It's XP im using, and neither My comp>Manage nor Control panel>Admin tools>Computer Management or whatever it is (I cant tell atm, my start menu has gone done thanks to that crash) does anything other that the 1% hang.

5. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

A minute sounds about right, it's always been that quick for me (no jokes :naughty: ).

I'd run it past HD Tach, if its not performing perhaps it's knackered, but with it being your first I wouldn't put it past the controller being the problem. What is it and what drivers are you using?

6. gm_crop

gm_crop What's a Dremel?

Boo ya, gotcha now, looks like I was using the wrong drivers. :wallbash:

Thanks a lot for your help, go get yourself a pint :clap: