1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Photos Holiday snaps

Discussion in 'Photography, Art & Design' started by Tomm, 7 Oct 2007.

1. Tomm

Tomm I also ride trials :¬)

I went on Holiday to Morocco last month, I'm going to put up a few pictures hopefully. But anyway, here's the first one.

This mosque was in a tiny village. There's no running water, and no road to it as such - just a track through some fields. The only form of transport these people own are donkeys though - there's no need for roads really. But it struck me as interesting how the (obviously very poor) community had such a large, impressive-looking mosque. And here it is:

[​IMG]

Canon 30D
    Sigma 10-20 @ 10
    ISO 100, f/16, 1/320 (bright day!)

Last edited: 7 Oct 2007
  2. OleJ

OleJ Me!

Cool angle. And the clouds really make it radiate. Nice shot!

3. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Nice angle, and great job managing to take the shot without blowing any of the highlights on such a bright scene. The clouds towards the lower left are getting a little close for comfort (I'd perhaps try hitting them just a tiny bit with the burn tool).

I now must get that 10-20 lens. Or is the building actually crooked? It seems to me that the vanishing point is just screwing with my head, but it's been a LONG time since I've been in an art class that discussed that at any length. Like... fourth grade. Well, I need a super-wide anyways (and as fun as an 8mm circular fisheye could be... just not practical right now), but I'm still curious about what that building would look like with a more natural FOV.

4. Jumeira_Johnny

Jumeira_Johnny 16032 - High plains drifter

I like. Good colors and good use of WA distortion.

5. coorz

coorz Miffed

Cool shot indeed, as said good job not blowing the highlights. Did you crop anything or is it the full frame?

6. Tomm

Thanks for the comments. The building is actually completely straight and quite boring, I'm sure with a normal lens wouldn't look that exciting.

Here's a pic from a bit back which my GF took - you can see me looking very touristy :D http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v427/tomnelson/P1010305.jpg

I actually exposed the RAW twice - one for the building's side (which was very nearly blown-out) and one for the rest of the shot. It's basically fully frame, yes. I think I cropped a few pixels off top and side but nothing really.

I'm trying to do a B&W conversion of this but I'm really struggling to keep the sky and the building good. Any ideas? (besides two conversions & masks which I have tried and looks a bit artificial).

7. TekMonkey

TekMonkey I enjoy cheese.

The bright orange hat doesn't do much for you.

8. Tomm

lol yeah I know! I lost my nice Quiksilver hat and was getting sunburnt so my girlfriend insisted that I wear that orange thing, and that 'It looks nice.'

Hmmm

9. Mother-Goose

Mother-Goose 5 o'clock somewhere

Girls lie, a lot!!

10. Tomm

Meh, I was the only european guy for miles so I'm over it :D

11. Hwulex

Hwulex Minimodder

That's a cracking shot mate, love it.

How far from the building were you to take that shot? Saw your bird's shot but couldn't really tell.

[EDiT]
    Dunno what sort of results you're getting, or want, but here's a quick B&W conversion using Rob Carr's technique.

[​IMG]

Last edited: 16 Oct 2007
  12. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Wouldn't using the B+W mixer in CS3 work just as well? My understanding is that there was no good B+W tool in CS2 (effectly just a desaturate), but that's no longer an issue, right?

13. Hwulex

Hwulex Minimodder

Dunno, depends if you have CS3 I guess (which I don't ;)).

14. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

Fantastic shot!

Tags: