1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Homeplug AV II tech announced

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 28 May 2008.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Yup using it at home after a sucession of failures at getting a robust wireless solution despite trying all sort of routers and aerials, this Homeplug stuff works a treat. I never see anywhere near the claimed speed but get approx 50Mbits a second which is not too shabby and nothing phases it, its great stuff, my HTPC distributes the DTV streams and other video etc over it to other terminals in the house, wireless couldn't cope with that reliably as the badwidth was never solid enough.

3. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

our new house is getting pretty much gutted and remodelled, so i'm just going to wire up cat6 to every room.

it's cheaper and better!

4. andyp06

andyp06 What's a Dremel?

Have had a 3 plug system of the latest 200Mb/s spec after failing to get my 54G wireless system to live with the 8+ other 54G WiFi systems in my neighbourhood. One runs at @86Mb/s & the other at @100Mb/s, so suits the 100Mb/s network it connects to. Overall it is so much better than WiFi, giving a consistent signal & no dropout or range problems. Keeps Wifey happy with her Second Life addiction, so pays for itself with that alone.

5. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

Anyone rewiring a house would be insane NOT to wire for ethernet. I'd imagine it adds several times its cost to the value of a property. However, it's a pretty big job if you're not remodelling anyway - lifting floors and chasing out channels in walls is hardly a small task. That's the situation I'm in - my flat is quite modern and not in need of refurbishment, but isn't wired for ethernet, so I'm using Homeplug. It is faster and more reliable than trying to use a wireless solution in a block of flats with about 5 others, and it's more than fast enough for sharing ADSL broadband, which is all I (and probably 95%+ of home users) really need it to do. If anyone ever decides to roll out fibre to the home here, then I'll rewire for gigabit ethernet because the Homeplug would become a bottleneck, but until then (or, more realistically, until the sky falls in) I'm set.

6. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

i think im going to try these out need to get files into my living room and fiance's office but the cost scares me i.e £70 for two just seems extorsionate to me

7. AcidJiles

AcidJiles Minimodder

8. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

i just relocated our modem and router to the basement outside my room and i ran two Cat6 cables to my room. we dont have a gigabit router but when we do i will be ready as i have 2 more cat6 cables for the other computers.

luckily its not too hard to run cables through our house.

9. superseagull

superseagull If it aint broke, fix it ;-)

i recently bought ZyXEL's PLA 400 200Mbps Desktop Homeplug kit (2 units) for just £70 from scan and have them running at 90-100 mbps and ditched the wi-fi cooking my brain! tis the way to go that's for sure ;-)

10. Woodstock

Woodstock So Say We All

think ill keep my cat5 and gigabit switch, (run one cable from flamates room where the router is to the switch)

11. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

i wonder if i could bridge 2 switches with this.....

12. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Yes you can thats what I do, a switch upstairs and one downstairs linked via my Netgear plugin jobbies.

Tags: Add Tags