1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware HP 2133 Mini-note sub-notebook

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 13 Jun 2008.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

I prefer the look of the HP to the EEE.

3. -EVRE-

-EVRE- What's a Dremel?

If they had only used an intel atom...

4. Woodstock

Woodstock So Say We All

i bet there will be another model with an atom at some point. iirc correctly the password can be fairly easily changed from a live cd

5. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

The Atom is pretty slow too...

6. Cadillac Ferd

Cadillac Ferd What's a Dremel?

Hey Joe have you tried using any HP laptops in the past? I've owned a couple and have always found them to have generally really good keyboards, is it the same sort of feel from other HP laptops?
    Generally good read my friend, you seem to have come to the same conclusion that most other reviewers did. Looks good but just a bit too pricey for what it actually offers. Mayhaps the Atom revision of the Mini-Note will offer a bit more substance to match all that style and price.

7. Jordan Wise

Jordan Wise Baby called to see the boss...

i loved the jelly covered bouncy castle conclusion, thats great journalism!

8. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

First page: brilliant. Second page: brilliant. Third page: minor problem (battery). Fourth page: there is no way I am buying that then.
    Real shame about the processor. It sounds so good up till that point. Decent keyboard, decent screen... but then you go a screw everything up with a Via processor.
    Great review though and I too love the bouncy castle analogy.
    edit: I didn't see you mentioning that it has an 8.9" screen anywhere.

9. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

I really liked the look of this until the Via CPU. Now, if it used the Via Isaiah chip (I think that's the new one...) I'm sure it'd be better. But the C7? No, cheers.

Actually, I've got irritated with the concessions I have to make with the 'netbooks' (although wasn't Psion the first company to come out with a Netbook?) so I've started looking at slightly larger things like the Samsung Q45...

10. The_Pope

The_Pope Geoff Richards Super Moderator

Indeed, afaik the Isaiah beats the Intel Atom...

11. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Yup, like a kick to the face because it has OoO execution. The Atom is like the C7 in its simplicity.

12. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

Maybe they went with the C7 because it and Isaiah are pin-compatible? That way when Isaiah availability is higher, they can simply drop that in and release the '2233' or something like that... :)

13. chicorasia

chicorasia What's a Dremel?

I've struggled with a pavilion for about nine months. Had to send it back to the factory three times: the first time around the local authorized HP service center nearly lost the laptop; then the battery died about a week after I got it back; a couple months later I had to send it back to the factory one more time - turns out they never did the first repair afterall, just pretended to do it. Finally I bought a macbook and ditched the HP.

Nevertheless, it did have a good keyboard. :D

14. Mother-Goose

Mother-Goose 5 o'clock somewhere

I'll stick with the EEE 901 I think based on that, TR said the same thing, great aesthetically, mechanicals are a real let down.

The only player I've got my eye on besides Asus is Dell, I reckon they are gonna pull something good out of the bag, but the question is really WHEN will they do it, and will it beat/equal the 901 onto the shelves?

15. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

i think the price of the 901 is just too high to be considered a netbook, so is the price of this HP 2133. they're bordering laptop prices but the specs don't match the price. i think £250 is the most i'd pay for a netbook, and that's pushing it.

16. blu

blu What's a Dremel?

did anyone find it odd that, they include a driver cd but no cd drive? what good is that going to do you really. I'm expecting the Mini note to be upgraded to the VIA Nano (isaiah) at some point this year, and maybe even a dual core nano either late 08 or early 09 (rumors say the dual core nano will be out q408)

17. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

great looks... bad internals.... it fails the test!

and what is up with a driver cd on a laptop that has no cd drive?

18. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

I look forward to companies sending out driver USB drives. :D

PNY give you USB drives with graphics cards, but they are blank. I turned one into a NiBiToR/nvFlash drive though XD

19. pimlicosound

pimlicosound What's a Dremel?

"On the down side, the odd sense of scale can play tricks with your mind. Spend too long using the 2133 Mini-note and you stand the risk of misjudging your pace as you step off the train. You might fall down the gap at the platform edge and be forced to carve at a meagre existence in the World Beneath The Trains, living on discarded crisps and crushed Chavs."

That's the best single paragraph I've read in a long time. Great article!

20. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Seeing how they failed to ever get the original Eees to the stores here, I just don't give a flying **** if there's some new models or not... I'm rather /unpleased/ about the situation, if you didn't notice it from the first line alone.

I've heard way too much bad experiences about HP laptops as well ,but don't really reckon any of these el cheapo minis are any better. AND imho atleast the HP's thingadilly looks less like "My First Laptop (tm)" than the fatso Eee. I could be wrong about that though as obviously I'm yet to see any of these IRL.

Tags: Add Tags