1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News HTC prices Vive bundle, sets pre-order date

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 22 Feb 2016.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Hustler

Hustler Minimodder

The price doesn't put me off, but the requirements for room space and placement of sensors does.

If you can't provide it with the space and correct room shape that it needs you're not going to get the most out of it, and given the rabbit hutch like rooms in UK homes, its a pretty big shortcoming.

3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Yup. Same with the Kinect; I just don't have a suitable room. The fact that I also don't have a PC capable of driving one or $800 is a secondary concern. Oh, as is the fact that I get motion sickness. I'm bad enough playing the boat level of Half Life 2 on a normal monitor. VR? Fuggedaboutit.

4. XXAOSICXX

XXAOSICXX Minimodder

Made me LOL IRL... Thanks :)

5. tad2008

tad2008 What's a Dremel?

As interesting as having a closed environment in which to interact as a concept might be and a step away from reality, being able to just get up and go without completely breaking any experience is where it's at for me.

The concept behind the Hololens has me far more excited though sadly I won't be getting one of those either until they can provide decent field of view to work with.

Ideally any experience should be seemless and able to take place no matter the environment. I should be able to step away from my game or movie or whatever and be able to go make a drink to take a bio break and still be able to hold a conversation with friends on voice comms or take a phone / video call or take my movie with me to watch while I cook dinner or even resume my game while I sit on the loo.

Yes we can pause and resume content from various sources which is all well and good but it's still not a simple / easy matter to switch to watching content or playing a game on another device, things are getting there but I fear that by the time things do progress I'll be nothing but a pile of bones in the ground.

6. forum_user

forum_user forum_title

For some reason I feel compelled to stroke your hair in a reassuring way. Although I am far too busy revelling in the OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMG and hyperventilating at the thought of stroking a whale as it glides past my nose :jawdrop:

I am the same with the Waltzers at fairgrounds. Everyone gets on and then call me to join in, and I know full well that if I don't they think I'm a *****, and if I do my face turns green and the assistants always pick up on it and make the ride go faster :waah:

As a side note, we don't have to have a dedicated room to play games, it just really helps with the immersion. Without the roaming option it plays just like the Occulus, only better apparently ...

7. Gareth Halfacree

Stugeron. 30mg (2x 15mg) cinnarizine taken an hour before travel, washed down with a beer for maximum efficacy. S'changed my life. Illegal in the US, though, because of a potential link to early-onset Parkinsonism, so perhaps don't overdo 'em.

8. Dedlite

Dedlite What's a Dremel?

I'm in a wheelchair, so like the Kinect, I wouldn't be able to take advantage of it's features, sadly. Occulus it is then.

9. schmidtbag

schmidtbag What's a Dremel?

I personally have an OSVR (and after seeing these prices, I'm glad I got it), which is wheelchair friendly. Since OSVR is modular, I'm hoping they'll at some point have a high-res replacement for the LCD panel.

10. Wwhat

Wwhat Minimodder

The price is doable for people with a job I guess, but then you have the issue that this obviously is a 1st gen product, and you might be disappointed when you put down that amount of cash only to have it be half-obsolete a year later. Although I think the tracking would be the same, so they could introduce a just-headset bundle for people having the 1st gen if they release an improved headset at that time (technology allowing).

11. forum_user

forum_user forum_title

Do we know if the Vive comes with HL3 yet?