1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News HTC targets June for Vive retail availability

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 8 Apr 2016.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Kehoe

Kehoe Minimodder

i'll be interested allot more when these products hit retails store to see the sales, we have allot of people coming into where i work asking for a demo or "if/when" can they order one, I'm personally giving it till December then look at getting the kit once its been out for a while see what content is out and if id honestly get much use out of it. I didn't think i use my Gear VR but i've found my self watching most of my Netflix on their the last month

3. Hustler

Hustler Minimodder

I've no doubt that the Vive is the technically superior product, at least when it comes to tracking, but the installation needed to do it justice is quite frankly, absurd.

So when I do eventually bite, Rift it will be, I'll take the ease of use and setup over a slightly better experience any day of the week.

Sitting at my desk with a single motion tracker and Xbox controller is good enough for me.

From what I've seen so far, the Vive is far more suited to industrial use than the home.

4. lerxster

lerxster What's a Dremel?

@hustler I fail to see how setting up 2 base stations, tracing the room space and plugging in a few cable is absurd...

Industrial? Vive is more expensive (probably because of the controllers and lighthouses) and yes car manufacturing companies are using it to design cars but it also plays pretty much the same games as the Rift. Albeit with the ability to move about a bit... Either way good luck with the Rift.

Installation looks dead easy. I am actually glad there are a few more steps as it helps me engage with the tech but then I'm probably way too much of a nerd! I read manuals too lol!

VR is having it's first consumer steps! Glad to be onboard...In May when my Vive turns up #facepalm

5. forum_user

forum_user forum_title

When you get a chance, check out the Vive with Fantastic Contraption. You will soon admit that it is more than an industrial piece of kit (which incidentally is not right!).

Walking around what you are building with two hands in Fantastic Contraption, is not just an added dimension, not just VR as we remember it from the arcades in the 90's, it is a totally new way of playing games. ----- added --- and that is just the very very very very beginning of what we will be doing in games later ....... sooooooo excited! Imagine adding and taking away modules to a air/spacecraft by walking around the ship before taking of in it. Or modding a soldier. Or building a spacecraft in Kerbal by walking around it instead of the keyboard mouse combo ...

I saw someone say that the Vive with its controllers is a Wii for 2016. I think I agree. Visually, with Job Simulator and Fantastic Contraption, it certainly has a Wii VR feel about it. But then running the WEVR theBlu demo with the whale gliding past also shows another side to it that really excites me.

Last edited: 8 Apr 2016