1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Development HTML form help

Discussion in 'Software' started by ErisDS, 12 Sep 2005.

1. ErisDS

ErisDS What's a Dremel?

Hi There :)

Ive been looking round the net for the answer to this.. and have a feeling it doesnt exist, but thought id ask here anyway :)

I know how to disable a particular form element so that it cannot be edited,
    and i know how to get a form element such as a text box to display predefined data.

What i want is to have a html text box that displays the dots and colons that format time and date or the dots that format ip, so that they are unchangable, but the data can be entered between them.

ie:
    |12.09.2005 12:00:00|
    (the two dots and two colons are already in positon and cannot be edited).
    Is this possible? Or is the only way in html to either have them editable or to use lots of little textboxes?

Thanks,
    Eris

2. [Jonny]

[Jonny] What's a Dremel?

I don't think you can do that, the only way I can see is if you have a text box for each one in between the dots:

[input].[input].[input]:[input]:[input]

3. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

split the data into seperate textboxes, with the bits you want uneditable as fixed html, then recombine it into the format you want at the server.

192 . 168 . 255 . 255

ed. bold numbers as textbox entry but not the dots.

edit: pipped to the post....

4. ErisDS

ErisDS What's a Dremel?

thats what i thought... lots of little text boxes.

Ok thanks for your help.. its a little ugly but im sure css can help me with that :)

Anyone got any ideas of a way to create a grid/table without using textboxes?
    Like in vb you can use a kind of spread sheet in forms.. i guess it will be neatly lain out textboxes again.

Ah well im learning.