1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other I have a dilemma

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Kronos, 19 Jul 2016.

1. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

I bought myself a GTX 1080 and discovered on receipt that it was far to wide for the case I was using, the Carbide 240. It was too big by a good inch which did not include the cables which would also added to the height when fitted.

So I bought a Xmigtech Aquilla and I hate this case. It is so poorly designed, there is little space for the cables from the PSU because the 3.5 HDD carrier is badly situated it could easily have been moved 30mm further forward. In fact you really struggle to get the SST-ST60F-P in to the case once the cables are fitted and it is going to be so interesting if I need to remove it. It says and is supplied with a rear fan but this blocks the installation of the motherboard.

So I have been trying to come to a solution.

Do I return the card, can I now as I have had it installed and running for two days?
    Do I look for another case, needs to be M-ATX, coloured, windowed?
    Do I look for a small PSU? But to be honest as I really dislike this case this is the least favourable option.
    Do I see if I can swap my 1080 for say a Evga here which I note is only 111.15mm which should fit in the carbide?

Last edited: 19 Jul 2016
  2. Pookie

Pookie Illegitimi non carborundum

I would look for another case, what about the parvum you had? Did it sell in the end? Could you use that?

3. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Parvum sold and I doubt if it would have fitted in it anyway. Actually I am thinking replacing the case is throwing good money after bad.
    As to why it needs to be M-ATX? I really do not like big cases where the components only occupy a small portion of the space which they would with an M-ATX motherboard. I have had my fair share of big cases the Silverstone FT02 springs to mind and where my PC is situated does mean that most ATX cases are unsuitable. But also I am far from being youthful and I found that moving larger cases around, as I like to tinker, became to much.

4. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

I am wondering if apart from it being black, whether the Thermaltake Core V21 is a solution to my issues?

5. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Personally, I'd return the case as it seems that it's the component that you're least happy with. As to what to replace it with, I'm not really sure, but there must be a better option out there.

If you can't come up with an alternative case option, then I'd return both the GPU and the Xigamatek and source an alternative 980 that will fit in your Carbide 240 (assuming that such a GPU exists).

Isn't it annoying when a new component doesn't quite work with your existing set up?

6. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Given how awesome the 1080 is, I'd return the case. Good luck finding a good new one!

7. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Case is definitely going back as it is not for me.

8. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv MATX might be an option, while not a cube design it does cover the psu and the lower harddisk mount with a shroud, so you still get the benefit of hiding a lot of the cabling.
    Plus digging through some reviews build quality seems ok as well.
    But of course it ain't exactly compact...

9. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

There are plenty of decent matx cases if you are ok with black but if not then you really limit your choices.

10. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

I think I am going to try the Thermaltake V21.

11. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

If you've found a case you really love (the Carbide 240), I'd be tempted to return the 1080 and go for a smaller form factor 1080. I'd love to say EVGA, but I really don't like the styling of their new cards.

12. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

I think that you might have a point. It seems I cannot return the case as I have managed to lose some of the fixings which is entirely my fault as I am just not tidy enough and I have been putting off sorting out my PC bits and pieces for months. I have no doubt they are here somewhere and unfortunately they are 4 washers that hold a SSD in place. I have 4 there should be eight. I have spent hours searching for them this morning but they have vanished into the black hole I know exists somewhere in my flat.

13. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Sell the case, and just send the card back, most are much of a muchness.

14. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Selling the case and have RMA'ed the GPU, that'll teach me.

15. David

Are they stepped rubber washers, Glenn?

A bit like this:

[​IMG]

I might have some.

Scratch that, I definitely have some.

16. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

That's the ones.

17. David

Just the 4 washers, or do you need the screws too?

Ping me your address.

18. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Screws as well if you have them Dave. Much appreciated.

19. David

Sorted. Four of each.

My missus just left to go shopping down town - she'll drop it in a post box.

20. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Cheers mate, if the case does not sell by the time they arrive then an RMA will do nicely. Thanks.