1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need some hints for my next PC...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Dragen, 15 Feb 2004.

1. Dragen

Dragen What's a Dremel?

Hi!

I'm going to buy a new PC in a few weeks, and I'm going for an AMD Athlon 64 3000+ system.

The problem is that I can't deside what motherboard I'll buy...
    Could you guys/girls please help me?

The GFXcard will be a Sapphire Radeon 9600XT 256 MB DDR.

And does Socket A waterblocks fit on an Athlon 64?
    I'm planning to buy one of those ChillTek(?) sets.

The case will be premodded (I'm clumsy), a Thermaltake Xaser III "Skull" Midi tower to be exact, wich I read should be a good case, do you have any comments on it?

I'm also going for 1024 MB DDR RAM, nope, not Dual, just two 512 MB cards.

Stuff like, monitor, DVD+R and keyboard/mouse will be taken from under my desk... I might go for one of those Logitech BT sets, wich looks good but expensive.

This PC got to last atleast two years, the one I'm using now is on its third year...

So, could you help me with the motherboard?

2. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

comments? what, like "fugly" ?

if you can hold out for a few months on buying a new computer it would be bset to do that, as there are a lot of new technologies on the horizon, especially if you want the system to last a few years

3. Xen0phobiak

Xen0phobiak SMEGHEADS!

find a cheiftec premod rather that a tt case. Im with mister_tad on the idea of waiting.

4. Highland3r

Highland3r Minimodder

Another vote for waiting....
    PCI express, DDR II (maybe) move to socket 939 are all jsut on the horizon and will give yuor pc a longer lifespan.....

5. Xiliqueirn

Xiliqueirn What's a Dremel?

I would definitely wait at least until the end of summer. You will begin to see more CPU's pushing towards the effective 4Ghz range, as well as 64-bit PCI and possibly DDR-II. Also, the video card and most other components will be just that much cheaper. Also, the rise of Socket T and more 939 based AMD chips will really open up your choices.

6. ChegsJAR

ChegsJAR What's a Dremel?

I agree with everyone else if you are going for a 64bit system I would wait. I know its hard to wait but its for the best sometimes.

7. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

Indeed... It will be best to wait and save your money. When socket 939 comes out, I am sure you will be really glad you waited for the better technology. Plus, since this gives you more time to save money, You can get a better video card. I dont think that one you plan on using can even utilize all that extra ram provided... So i think you should wait for BTX, get a socket 939 AMD 64, a BTX video card, and for gods sake, ANYTHING other than a Xaxer three. As Mister-Tad so elequently put it ;) the best description for that computer would be fugly. I think you should get an Antec full tower server case, but then again thats just me :D And be sure to get at least a gig of RAM :D:D:D:D:D Save up, and prepare for total coputer 0\/\/|\|4G3!!!

8. Dragen

Dragen What's a Dremel?

btx?

9. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

BTX is a new motherboard standard that makes usage of new features such as PCI-Express, eliminating AGP, and supporting more serial ATA devices and other more powerful features. Overall, it is supposed to be a way to make manufacturing of computers cheaper, more universal, and more advanced. Soon, these motherboards will be making their entrances to the market, along with, I'm guessing, socket 939, and ATI's and or nVidia's latest video cards. This motherboard format also supports lots of fun new features not available on ATX. :search: for more information :thumb:

10. hypocrisy86

hypocrisy86 Banned

Yea i agree with all of you
    waiting will be ALOT better, i myself cant wait for the new 939's :D