1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News id: Piracy 'hidden benefit' for PC manufacturers

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 22 Aug 2008.

1. knyghtryda

knyghtryda What's a Dremel?

umm... I think its pretty obvious that hardware manufacturers benefit from piracy, just like how they benefit from legitimate sales. As long as the software is there, people will want to buy the hardware, otherwise its kinda pointless. It just seems like though that certain developers have a harder time with piracy than others, even if the all make excellent games. Crytek got hit hard by piracy, but Valve doesn't seem care, and Ironclad Games have pretty much just said "go ahead and pirate it, but we know you'll want to buy it later". Then again, I bought the entire HL2 series, and Sins of a Solar Empire, so there's something to be said about just shutting up about piracy and letting your product sell itself.

2. Arkanrais

Arkanrais What's a Dremel?

one word: butthurt
    somehow, he doesn't think its possible that they are just staying out of the whole piracy thing cause its not their place to begin with. seriously, what do hardware manufacturers have to gain by bitching about piracy?
    it seems the ID cast have gone up the walls a bit (too much dope methinks :p ). either that, or that other ID nutter has realized noone listens to him any more and is getting his cronies to do the talking for him instead.
    CONSPIRACIES ALL AROUND!

3. FeRaL

FeRaL What's a Dremel?

Next thing you know, he will try to say the oil companies are making a profit as well from it because if you get free software, you will have more money to buy gas. Hell, lets throw the food stores into the mix too...

4. Mighty Yoshimi

Mighty Yoshimi Motormouth

Steam isn't that great, it would be if they accepted cards like Switch/Maestro. Why should you need a visa electron or credit card to buy a game?

5. UncertainGod

UncertainGod Minimodder

Restore my faith in PC gaming by actually making challenging games with good online re-playability and pc piracy will as good as disappear (you will always have some of the mentally challenged who just won't pay for anything.)

6. naokaji

naokaji whatever

hes right as in money saved on one thing will be spent on another thing.

lets say you have 10k to spend on a car but buy one for 8k, then you will have 2k to spend on something else, same goes for pirating games, if you have 100 to spend for two games and download them instead you can buy a new lets say harddisk with the "left over" money. So, in a way hardware manufacturers are profitting from piracy, he should stop badmouthing them like that though.

7. devdevil85

devdevil85 What's a Dremel?

I agree with him. People, like myself, would rather spend all of my available budget on my PC (I want the best, right?). Then I'm stuck with no money and the easiest thing to do other than accumulating more money is to just pirate the game, right? He has a point. Why not just spend that extra $50 on a better GPU/CPU/etc. rather than on a game that you can pirate? Now whether it is the main reason for HW manufacturer's profits, I doubt that, but they are benefiting from piracy because of this reason...

8. bahgger

bahgger Minimodder

If I attempted to write this reply on my Wii, PS3 or Xbox360, it would likely take me the better half of a day. And not because I have downs.

9. mattthegamer463

mattthegamer463 What's a Dremel?

In the old days when I did actually frequently buy games, ALL THE TIME they wouldn't even run, or would error like mad and crash nonstop. Now, I just bought this unreturnable game that won't run on my PC. Hmm. Good use of my $3/week allowance as an 11 year old. As soon as I discovered piracy it was like finding a box of naughty magazines in the attic, it opened me up to a "bad" world that everyone secretly uses all the time. My money is better spent on other things in life rather than a game I'll play though once and then forget *cough* crysis * cough*

10. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

I wonder if all developers are stil complaining about piracy if their game was the nr1 selling game in the industry. I never hear Valve about piracy... makes you wonder doesn't it..

Or is it the fact that the world economy is lower then ever, we have high oil, energy and food prices and people in the US send the keys of their homes to the bank in a envelope because they cant pay for the mortgage. And all banks in the world have problems keeping their heads up because all of this **** going on.

But noooooo that has nothing to do with dropped sales of "entertainment". Its the piracy!

Last edited: 23 Aug 2008
  11. Neo40k

Neo40k What's a Dremel?

Clearly the only option is to move back to numbered punch cards and cave paintings so that we cant steal each others ****. I use a PC because its hard to do a report on a PS3. And i only DL things id probably never buy anyways so.... to everyone who said that He is just bitching and wants someone ( faceless internet pirates) to blame, Agreed!! Becase a large group of facless people is easer to take the blame for your marketing division failing.

12. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Steam is no solution. I saw (I won't name anyone, and not it's not me) crack Steam only games. So it does nothing.
    Steam sucks balls. I want to play a game, I have to download it and install it. I am sure everyone at bit-tech has a 5 Terabyte per nano-second internet access, but I, and others don't. And, to top things over, I have a bandwidth limit (all ISPs here have a bandwidth limit). I want the disk in my hand, where I can easily install/uninstall it any time I want fast without worries. Not be blocked with a 1/6 of a game per month, in the hope that it doesn't get corrupted during the download process.

If Steam disappears...(let's say because of piracy) what happens now? Where are all my games I purchased? I paid the right of usage, and they just leave. You might say it won't occur, but it the situation occurred with Yahoo Music. Who knew that they would ACTUALLY close down?!
    Also having a nice HUGE database of credit cards, I think it will be a nice gold mind for hackers, especially if they can hack the system and crap them on the fly.

Also, if I want to play a 10 year old game (like right now Monkey Island, for old time sakes because I find the game to be a classic), will the game still be on that service? Probably not. And how about resell? And the consequences of removing re-sell games. Many don't have the funds to cash out for games and buy used games. And you have stores that profit from this. What will happen to this group? Also, you have those classic games that sell right now, for over 100$ on eBay.

Anyway, this is just brain food.

I think companies should stop on preventing piracy as it's useless. The money gain will catch up for the pirated games, and even be able to sell teh games at lower price, or make them better, to a point to significantly reduce piracy.

Last edited: 25 Aug 2008
  13. Lepermessiah

Lepermessiah What's a Dremel?

It is sad everytime someone says something about piracy, people here get up in arms and say their game was crap or attack the credibility of the person. What is up with that. The best games get pirated more, that is known. Must be a lot of pirates here on bit-tech.

14. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!

Hollenshead has a point.
    Check those multi-page forum threads "PC vs. Console" where someone always comes with the argument that "PC is better because I can get games for free"- refering to commercial ones, not free ones.

And, usually when there are attacks on someone work or personality is because what he is saying makes sense, the attacker just doesnt want to admit it.

15. PhoneyVirus

PhoneyVirus *_*

He's Dumb as my @ss

Tags: Add Tags