1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other IE v Firefox

Discussion in 'Software' started by DSquareD, 13 Apr 2009.

1. DSquareD

DSquareD What's a Dremel?

hey all!
    wow it has been too long since I have been here on the forums. It's nice to be back!

So basically I am writing an article for a publication for university and I have been given the delightful topic of comparing and reviewing two software apps.
    Seeing as how the central theme for this issue is the internet i figured i would compare IE and Mozilla and find a winner.

Can anyone help me out with this?

any information on the differences between the 2 browsers and some key features would be great as well as opinions as to which is better would be appreciated.

Peace guys
    :rock:

2. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

firefox isn't a steaming pile of crap like IE, yeah i think thats enough info on that matter. lol!

3. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

I personally use IE over Firefox, but, i wouldn't recomend IE8 to anyone as it's very very unstable (Mind it is beta still) so i try and use IE7, now comparing IE7 and Firefox 3.4 i think? is i suppose like road testing BMW and Audi for example, both are very good.
    For me, IE7 does exactly what it says, loads up web pages to be viewed, Firefox allows for far more to be done, it can spell check as you type, can give you far more detail about the page etc, and in some respects, loads pages faster than IE, so to sum up, IE is relativley simple, but Firefox is far more versitile.

Hope that makes sence.

Sam

Krikkit likes this.
  4. MarkW7

MarkW7 Total Noob

Firefox is more customisable, eg- Addons. =]

5. DSquareD

awesome...and ive been doing my homework and testing both browers out and ill still stick to my firefox..i dig it as its more customisable and i find its quicker...IE lost it with mewith IE5...but maybe thats just my personal tastes...

can anyone share some similar features the two browsers have? or the things that u prefer best about one of 'em?

6. That Bald Guy

That Bald Guy Hi-Tech Redneck

I think that about sums up my views on things. I've been using Firefox for a few years now, and dread using IE on other friends machines. Firefox is my buddy, esp with it's built in spell checker. Big fan of all the add-on features, what I think are faster page load times (even tho i have never tested this theory) and I feel that it crashes less that IE. IE is fine for some, esp. when all you are doing is browsing and checking e-mail, but for an enthusiast, i believe FF is the way to go!

Just my $.02

-TBG

Krikkit likes this.
  7. Chris P

Chris P What's a Dremel?

I did use Firefox as my main browser, although I'm a web developer so I have to use many different browsers every day. I have stopped using firefox now though - I think IE8 is brilliant! Even features like the accelerators and web slices which I thought I'd never find a use for are quickly becoming part of my daily life!

8. cyrilthefish

cyrilthefish What's a Dremel?

Personally, firefox's addons are the dealbreaker for me, it's quite painful trying to surf the internet with no adblock for example :)

On a more general note: the security aspect deserves a huge mention.
    On my parent's and my little brother's PC's, spy/ad/crap-ware removal used to be a fortnightly job.

since stealth-installing firefox on their PC's (set FF as default, change IE icons to point to FF) this is now a very rare occurrence (2-3 times a year at worst) :lol:

though to be fair, this was at IE6. i haven't bothered updating their IE since, if FF works, why try to fix it? :D

9. mm vr

mm vr The cheesecake is a lie

Man have you lived in a barrel for the last month? :p It has been final since March 19!

Because IE is highly integrated with Windows. IE4,5,6 particularly. Also the security holes of IE affect Windows in general because of the integration, that's why it's recommended to update IE even though you don't use it.

10. Pieface

Pieface Modder

I prefer Firefox just for one thing. Adblock+.

11. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

No, but i am at work alot:thumb: I'm not entirely sure what build i was using (can't check either as my GPU bit the dust yesterday) but it's a nightmare to use, all sorts wouldn't do what i wanted, Some days i would get through without a hitch, and others would be one failure after another. In honesty, i thought IE8 would auto update it's self with MS/Windows Update, but i don't know.

Sam

12. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

Firefox is the one and only browser I use, in fact I have it installed on a flash drive just in case the computer I want to use doesn't have it

Adblock, StumbleUpon, and some of there themes are really great and I never get viruses/spyware with Firefox

13. greshoff

greshoff Minimodder

Firefox for me is an easier to use and more stable browser

14. JesterQ

JesterQ What's a Dremel?

Agree with everything you've said .. thumps up from me for FF .. dread using IE ..

You could quote the world record for most downloads when they launched v3 ..

That Bald Guy likes this.
  15. DSquareD

ahhh you are all so awesome, i think its a done deal for me...ive written the article and boomed about FF...thanks for all your help guys.

jester, where can i find the record so i can quote it?

16. That Bald Guy

That Bald Guy Hi-Tech Redneck

Here

:)
    Just over 8 million downloads in 24 hours

17. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

trying to think of a way to get opera into the conversation oh look ive just done it

18. Ant1981

Ant1981 Minimodder

I'm interested in firefox security. Some websites that have mountains of tracking cookies and trojans that can infect your computer, is firefox still at risk from malicious adverts?

19. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

I used Firefox until a few days ago, well, the day before I joined here actually. I now use Google Chrome, works fine for me. Firefox keeps saying it's running even though it isn't..go figure, but anyway. Firefox over IE anyday for me.

20. mm vr

mm vr The cheesecake is a lie