1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm an Online Gaming Cheat (Column)

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by WilHarris, 4 May 2004.

1. WilHarris

WilHarris Just another nobody Moderator

www.bit-tech.net/column/8

:D :D

Thoughts / opinions?

As a sidenote, many of you will recognise David from his work on PCZone here in the UK. Give him a decent welcome ;)

2. djengiz

djengiz Pointless.

Firstly I don't like FPS games, but as for cheating. Well, they suck big time. I used to play star craft a lot, but then the map cheats, lag cheats and all the other cheats started to come into play. As you I stopped playing the game. But, now I have started to play it again (not as often), but I still rule. Especially the TVB mucho money games. I just changed tactics. You just need a good partner thats all.

3. Mat-d-Rat

Mat-d-Rat Drive it to the edge baby

Cheating online is only cheating yourself. I'm 34 now have two kids and work from home, Last night I played online BF:V with my brother and his freind and I Owned, so age has nothing to do with it!!! If playing a online game is only about top spot then IMO don't bother playing. I play alot of BF anf BF:V over at www.global-confict.org and the biggest hing I like is the fact that it's all team effort stuff. I may well spend the whole time at a back flag doing nothing but defending it, but at the end of it if we win the round it was worth it. In Global-Conflict there is no first place, only Axis and Allies fighting and trying to win the map! I play a few public servers, but it's quite funny watching the mini-map as you always see all the players swarming to the saem flags, leaving all the others open for me to take :)

4. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

I only cheat in single player games and only if there's a part I just cannot get past.

There's some, what I call, 'lucky' individuals on Day of Defeat. I don't and won't ever cheat online, but sometimes, you get the impression, not exactly OMG W4LLHa><><orzz!!one, but that some people do have extraordinary quick and accurate aim.

What I find more annoying is TKers that hang around the spawn point and mow down whoever passes them. I had this the other night and I ended up having to take the dude out first in order to get anywhere. It ended up with ME being quite bluntly kicked off the server and unable to connect back or to any other server, forcing a system restart! Dude's name was A.ness, map was avalanche and it was on a jolt server a few days ago.

5. Tim S

Tim S OG

good read :thumb:

Welcome David :)

6. Balder

Balder Calmer than a monk on morphine

I simply love fps games, i try to play Counter-Strike for an houre a day (at least), but having a family makes it hard somethimes...

When it comes to cheating, I have never tried it online, i used at at work (lan game) to test it with som friends, and I must say, it's pretty funny (once or twice) to "suprise" someone with a headshot throug the wall :worried:

Online I only play pcw og cb(practice clan war or clanbase), if I play public I play on servers that I have admin, and I know 90% of the people, so theres almost no cheating, and if someone is there are plenty of admins.

I used to play on some servers with cheating, and I mean REAL CHEATING, the people didnt give a flying f**k about it, and it sucked big time, cause nomather what you did, someone fragged you, throug walls, around corners, behind crates etc.

As for the age thing, I dont think it matters that much, I have friends late 30ish, kids, full time jobs who still play good, and as I said, i have a wife and kid, but it dosent keep me from playing, since its my hobby:cooldude:

As for the noobs dont stand a chance, partly true, a lot of the people i play with started playing cs recently, and they are getting pretty good (not lastplacer, but not top either :) )

So GL HF happy fragging, and dont let the cheaters destroy youre fun!

\\Balder aka Sp33D online

7. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

[rant]

I never understood cheating. It baffles me. Deep down.. all those that cheat, must know: They are crap! If you need to cheat, you're dog poo, or else why would you need to cheat?

I used to have a friend who routinely cheated. This was before the internet and online gaming, so it was even more baffling. He'd spend a lot of money on a new game, get a cheat for it, and complete it in one night. The game then sat on a shelf until it went to a car boot sale a few months later. Why?

Online gaming cheats are a desease that needs irradicating. It's so annoying to practice at a game until you're damned good, only to go online and get wasted by someone obviously using a cheat. NFS springs to mind. I own at that game. I don't care if it sounds arrogant.. I do. However, I still go online and get battered routinely by people in obviously hacked cars that are just ludicrously faster than mine, even tho mine's as fast as it can get LEGITIMATLEY. Who do these people think they're impressing? What sort of sad individual cheats when it's so obvious they are doing so?

It's not just games either. Cheating in benchmark threads seems common these days too. WHY?? Why pretend you have a computer that doesn't exist? This is REALLY baffling.

To anyone reading this thread: If you use cheats, or have done, or run your benchmark screenshots through photoshop... you're crap. Yes.. you... you're crap.

Respect to those that practice and become good through hard work and dedication, and a great big dose of piles to those that cheat instead.

[/rant]

8. jcm44

jcm44 What's a Dremel?

I think the thing that drives everyone crazy about on-line cheating, is there isn't much you can do about it. Sure you can ban serial numbers and ips, but that is like a slap on the wrist. The cheat writers are always one step ahead, and they will always find new and different ways to cheat.

If I found out one of my friends was cheating, I'd give them so much crap they wouldn't ever play against me again. If they actaully did "frag" me, I'd ask if that was them or the aimbot...

I guess if you have to cheat at a silly online game so you can see your name on the screen at the end, then your goals in life are pretty pathetic.

9. Vochraye

Vochraye What's a Dremel?

I could not possibly agree with you more.

I too am not a huge fan of FPS multiplay. I was, back in the Doom days - and won a few local championships too - but that was almost always one on one. In the interim, multiplay has really gone to the dogs.

You know what it all stems from? Quake 3. If ID hadn't built a (for all intents and purposes) strictly multiplayer game, we would not be where we are today.

I'll tell you what though; when Doom 3 and Half-Life 2 come out, the face of gaming is going to change again. I think we're going to see a lot more titles geared towards an in-depth single player experience.

10. Awoken

Awoken Gazing at the stars

I tried online gaming a few times in several FPS games, always got my ass kicked. Moral of the story? Get a few mates round and play a LAN, its social and theres no need to cheat as there will always be a few n00bs there.

If you want to play with the dedicated gamers out there who play nearly 24/7 you're going to get your ass kicked, set your sights a little lower and remember the reason we all game...its fun :hip:

Cheating sucks, its a hollow victory and you'd have to be a little sad to want to win something that bad at the cost of all enjoyment.

Big ups to all the athletes, baseball stars, who waste our time and their own lives by pumping themselves full of steroids...you sad people :duh:

11. eddie_dane

eddie_dane Used to mod pc's now I mod houses

If you think being a player that has cheated makes you paranoid, try being a server admin responsible for keeping the playing field fair and fun ... that will really twist you up. :wallbash:

12. -:: M@ ::-

-:: M@ ::- Testify!

I hate it that cheats can be made, in a game, I often complete the single player, then use the cheats to get all the weapons, and play through again, as thats fun, but online, I would never cheat, its pointless, it defeats the object of the game, and all it does is induces paranoia.

I used to play Delta force all the time with my mates on the net, and slowly as I played more often than them, i became better than them, and started to die less often, complete the match without dying or would be able to pull off some far fetched shots, and then they started to accuse me of cheating, all because I was becoming better than them, and people never like to be 2nd or last, as sports competetive, and if they cant live with it, they accuse me of cheating...but the scary thing is...i hate it, i hate been accused..but I know ive done it too, if im loosing, and someone pulls off a stupid shot on me, I will eventually get pissed off and accuse them of cheating, even when I know I can play a game and pull off something like that sometimes...Its just an instinct, as people (especially guys) cant live with being second, were all competative, and want to be the best...

- M@

13. olv

olv he's so bright

I think the only negative side affect that online game cheating has created is the paranoia of the none cheaters. The few cheaters that are left now, primarily in Counter-Strike, only serve to provide people with an excuse.

No longer can anyone be good because of skill, if someone has a good score, gets a lot of headshots, there's no way that this person could actually be really good, they MUST be cheating.

It pisses me off how people will go so horribly out of their way to batter someone to the ground who they see to be cheating. It doesn't matter that they've only been playing 2 months, they're already so good to be able to catch people out. It just makes me angry when i get accused of cheating, i tend to ignore people that start accussing and usually my silence confirms their fears. People ruin their own gaming experience with their own fear. it's no longer the cheats.

Real cheaters are only their to provide a challenge, if you get killed by a cheater so what? just try harded next time, push yourself to be better them them.

Theres only really one point that i strongly disagree with from the column

If that was applicable then no sport would be a mainstream sport...
    I couldn't just walk into the middle of a world cup football match and start whipping booty because i don't play football and never have.
    To be good at any sport you need to put in hours of practise, why is/should gaming be any different?

14. Fatboy

Fatboy Bored

A good worthwhile read , top job :thumb:

Personally i have never cheated in online play, AT ALL. I despise people who fell the need to cheat. Why not play a diferent game and just be good at that, instead of being shét at a game you have to cheat on?
    Another thing i realy really hate is being accused of cheating, especially by relatively new players. I have been playing CS serious-ish for a year now, and i try to play everyday. I am now quite good if i can be bothered, so its just depressing when somebody calls me a 'haxor cheating omfg noob' just because i saw them walk behind a wall and i managed to kill them.

bleh.

15. AtomicBanana

AtomicBanana What's a Dremel?

I found the article quite interesting.. I can't belive how serious u take it :|

To me it seems ure lifes priorites must be seriously out of whack if it's a serious test of ure friendship to discover a friend cheating :) If I found a friend of mine cheating.. I wouldn't really care at all - I guess that's just the way I'm built. I don't take it as an insult to my skills, or anything else. If someone is cheating, they clearly have no skill, so you're still on the moral high ground there really - and for me, the moral high ground is enough. It needs to put into perspective, that gaming is a *game* a hobby, a pastime, not a way of life. If someone feels the need to cheat and ruin thier own enjoyment, then I feel sorry for them more than anything else.

There's far more to worry about - people who spend far more amounts of time gaming than I have the time to, and insist on ramming it in my face with quotes of 'owned' etc. Can't stand that behavior and it becomes increasingly common, that's what puts me off gaming more than any cheating I've experienced.

16. olv

olv he's so bright

You've never really played cs unless you've played betas ;)

17. acrimonious

acrimonious Custom User Title:

Best column yet i think, nice job David!

18. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

This is another one of those 'you are scum and I am not because I don't do it' topics that sicken me far more than anyone cheating ever will.

I enjoy playing games as much as anyone, although I am not a big fan of FPS at all, mainly because I am not very good at them, never have been. In fact I am not a very good player at many games.

I will often see a game in a store that I quite like the idea of playing but I will normally hold off from buying it until I have been around the 'net looking to find some cheats for it, be it a trainer or a walkthrough or whatever.

While I can sympathise completely with the idea that cheating when playing an online game against other people is very wrong on so many levels and I would never do it personally, when it comes to a playing using my own system unlinked to anything else and playing a game I have spent good money on, all I am asking is that people let me play the game however I feel like playing and not to try and preach their own set of moral values at me.

In short, I cheat at games I get stuck on all the time because I am not and have never been a very good gamer but I want to progress in the game and see all of it and not have to carry on repeating the same section over and over again because I keep getting stuck or dying, I lose interest very quickly if that happens.

Happy gaming (however you choose to play)
    :)

19. eddie_dane

eddie_dane Used to mod pc's now I mod houses

I think you've missed the point. Cheating on a single player game vs a multiplayer game are two completely different animals.

I have looked up walkthroughs to get through a game. I have downloaded cheats to make a single player game interesting the second, third, forth time around to see what can be done.

I will never cheat on an online game. The whole appeal of online play is pitting your skills against another person's. If you throw cheats in the human mix, you might as well be playing a single player game.

The column says nothing about using cheats on single player.

20. The_Pope

The_Pope Geoff Richards Super Moderator

It's all so clear - I should've known all along that only Macca had the power to resort my faith in online columns.

Proud to have you on-board mate!

Tags: Add Tags