1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Intel hits record profits, bets heavily on Ultrabooks

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 20 Jan 2012.

1. brumgrunt

brumgrunt What's a Dremel?

2. r3loaded

r3loaded Minimodder

It's amazing to see that while the armchair pundits and analysts on the internet are predicting Intel's demise at the hands of ARM and the death of the Wintel monopoly, Intel is absolutely raking in the profits. The fact that they've moved so quickly to get Atom into tablets shows they're certainly not complacent in countering threats.

3. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

Aren't Ultrabooks pretty much synonymous with Ivy Bridge right now? I know the SB powered ASUS Zenbook line is out, but still.

Also, is it me or is Paul O. trying to do a "Steve Jobs" in that photo...?

4. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

10.1 Billion on research is just an amazing amount of money. I hope some of it goes into their on Chip GPUs. AMD have the right idea, but can't provide the CPU performance to back it up making Llano a hard sell. It'd be great to see mainstream desktops and laptops being able to play games.

5. kzinti1

kzinti1 What's a Dremel?

It's very good that Intel will have such a large amount to spend on R&D.
    It's also too bad that the called the i7-3xxx-K-E cpu's "Enthusiast" cpu's when they're actually "Enterprise" cpu's. They don't deserve any profit from that flat-out lie.
    I couldn't help but notice that the hard-drive shortage due to the Thai Flood Disaster is over.
    I suggest that nobody buy any hard-drives until the prices return to their pre-flood levels.
    If you keep buying them at today's cost, there will be no incentive at all to lower the prices to where they once were.
    It isn't exactly as if the World economy has increased so much to absorb this, now, artificial inflation.
    It would be extremely nice if Intel were to throw a few dozen billions to the next couple of generations of SSD's. They have the know-how but need to develop the engineering and manufacturing side of the equation.
    I'm also looking forward to the day when every single cpu operates exactly the same, from batch to batch. These days, it's quite difficult, and expensive, trying to find a good cpu that can overclock as well as the ones from prior and later batches.
    I have a pair of i7-2600K's. One overclocks like a dream. The other just heats up and quits when pushed a little. They cost the same, they are marked the same, they are as different as night and day. There's no reason for this to ever occur.
    Intel is also at the brink of producing a gaming motherboard equal to the best of the rest. They can make the best gaming/overclocking motherboard in existance. They have the tools. They have the facilities. They have the personnel and wherewithall. They only need to bear down and make it.
    Most people buy Intel cpu's. Why not make motherboards that are also overwhelmingly the best?

6. Xir

Xir Modder

Intel has been "raking in Money" for decades...
    Strangely it doesn't show on their stock.

It's doing quite well right now though, I just need Ivy-Bridge releasedate as a sell-point.

7. r3loaded

r3loaded Minimodder

Stock prices have never properly corresponded with a company's profitability or prospects. It's all about hype and expectations, especially when looking at short-term trends.

Tags: Add Tags