1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Intel invests in ASML for EUV, 450mm wafers

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 10 Jul 2012.

1. brumgrunt

brumgrunt What's a Dremel?

2. rollo

rollo Modder

Nice for intel, bad for rivals dout AMD or ARM have 1.7billion to invest

3. Zinfandel

Zinfandel Modder

How interesting. I was reading a book called "Introduction to Super Computing" last night which talked very specifically about EUV Lithography, Intel and ASML.

It was published ten years ago and quite accurately predicts the state of processor manufacturing today (And given this article, tomorrow). Although I suppose in this game planning ten years ahead is de rigueur.

4. maverik-sg1

maverik-sg1 Minimodder

ARM and AMD are fabless design houses - people like Samsung, TSMC, Global Foundaries etc.... are the manufacturers that would be interested in such projects.... what this probably does is secure Intels positon on the 'first to buy' list for the new 450mm wafer making machines, but also provides the company with the cash it needs to develop the technologies to make them work properly.

In the world of research and development, money really does make the world go around, Intel have more than most so although it worries me that Intel has it's fingers in all these pies, without them, there would be no pie.

5. ch424

ch424 Design Warrior

Indeed, ASML is talking to Samsung and TSMC about them buying an equity sake too..

6. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Mmmmm waffles.

I need to sleep more. And good for Intel.

Tags: Add Tags