1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Intel Ivy Bridge 10W parts rumoured

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 4 Dec 2012.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. fluxtatic

fluxtatic What's a Dremel?

It's Intel, so I know better than to say it's BS. If it's true, though, that'll take a bit of shine off Haswell - that seemed to be one of the more exciting things about Haswell, iirc.

At the same time, though, if they can get down to 10W on IB, maybe they've already got designs on dipping lower with Haswell?

3. Jaybles

Jaybles Minimodder

I'll just leave this here.

4. ZeDestructor

ZeDestructor Minimodder

5. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Sorry, but this seals it for me:

I found some measurements for the power draw of the original Odroid-X: A peak of ~980mA when booting and ~380mA when idle; with a 5v supply that's 4.9 & 1.4 watts power consumption. The Raspberry Pi really shows what can be achieved: a peak draw of ~610mA under full load, which is a hair over 3W. Granted, of course, that the Pi's processing power is puny by modern standards, but the Odroid-X isn't puny.

Sorry Intel; you'll have to do a lot more than a 10W chip when a complete ARM SBC - not just the SoC - can consume just half that under full load.