1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Intel next-gen SSD specs leaked

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 7 Oct 2010.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

prices please.

writing 10TB to a 80GB drive is pretty hard to do, let alone 30TB.

to be honest, i think any SSD will do the job of speeding up your OS responses, those difference only really matters in server environment.

3. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

@wuyanxu: think of the data that gets deleted and written over, that's the 10TB.

Still no C300.

4. V3ctor

V3ctor Tech addict...

I already have 3TB written to my G2 160Gb on my notebook (don't know how it got to that), and it says it's at 98% in health.

The new ones seem good enough in write speeds, but I can't even max my G2 on my notebook with the PM965 and the ICH8M-E southbridge... :(

And I think that are new sandforce controllers coming out soon, so we may see another performance boost from them...

5. sb1991

sb1991 What's a Dremel?

6. Taniniver

Taniniver Minimodder

I won't buy another Intel SSD after the fiasco with them not issuing the firmware update to the 1st generation ones for TRIM support. I just replaced mine with an OCZ Vertex 2 (120 Gb) after the Intel write performance had dropped to 10 Mb/sec sequential, and my system runs much smoother now.

7. dangerman1337

dangerman1337 Minimodder

Since their not bumping up the speed i hope it aleast drops below at least by 50% in price compared to Sandforce-2***.

8. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

wow this great news, this is the push needed to start making these drives more worth wild and start bring down the cost and so forth, cant wait to see it hit shelves.

9. Makaveli

Makaveli What's a Dremel?

Wow what the heck are you doing on that laptop and how long have you owned it.

My 160GB G2 in my desktop is only at 850GB's host writes since dec 2009. Then again my system is tweaked with a seperate drive for Data storage, page file taken off the SSD, and browsers caches and user temp files stored on a RAM Disc.

10. Makaveli

Makaveli What's a Dremel?

This is what happends when you buy first gen products you often get screwed. The Sandforce drives are cool but there performance depends on if it can compress that data uncompressed data performance is not so great. And obviously having TRIM will be better than no TRIM.

You learned a lesson i went thru maybe 10 years ago.

11. Keatah

Keatah What's a Dremel?

Not ready for prime-time

SSD's are not ready for prime-time. Too much worrying about the controller specs, the nand chips, benchmark numbers, reliability, longevity. All that has to become transparent. I'd say another 2 or 3 years, when these become commodity items.

BTW:
    It would be very easy for me to write 10 TB to an 80GB drive in less than 6 months.

With testing for space-flight simulation add-ons and whatnot, we often uninstall and reinstall a 6GB app several times a day.

And what about photoshop?? There goes even more data.

Tags: Add Tags