1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Intel threatens to pull AMD’s rights and licenses

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 16 Mar 2009.

1. iwod

iwod What's a Dremel?

The question is simple. Does more then 50% of Voting right equals to Subsidiary.
    Or would they NEED to have more then 50% of shares to classify as Subsidiary.
    I believe the latter is true......... so i dont even see AMD has a case here........

2. Tokukachi

Tokukachi Minimodder

Legally a Subsidiary in the US is having a controlling share in a company, you don't have to own more than 50% of the company. AMD are not stupid, they have a massive legal department and would of made sure everything was squared away when they created Foundry.

This is just posturing by Intel, something we have seen a lot of recently, by which I refer to the whole nVidia debacle that has been prominently displayed here on bit-tech.

This kind of corporate PR BS really pisses me off, and it's now getting to the point where I'll no longer purchase items manufactured by the parties involved.

3. mclintox

mclintox Eat cheese!

4. Xir

Xir Modder

Well good luck building a competitive gaming PC not based on Intel or AMD.

They're burning money an at least AMD could have used this money to NOT NEED SELLING their own fabs.

5. n3mo

n3mo What's a Dremel?

Try to imagine that: Not everyone is playing games.

Intel is just bullying as usual, they must sh*it their pants now. Economical problems take away their profit while AMD starts to be competitive again. I really hope Intel loses this case, and just to support AMD I'm going to buy me another X4 940.

6. magicpixel

magicpixel What's a Dremel?

This is going to be interesting.
    With major distributors buying less and less of the 2 companies products because of the crisis, stockholders are looking at less profit in there investments.
    Intel, being the leader in CPU manufacturing (quantity wise), is looking to loose more.
    Profit drops, stock drops, investors whine, Intel panics, Intel starts litigation against everything and everyone in the hope to scrape in the extra X millions for the investors and/or attempt to stomp out the competition.

If the two companies get locked in a multimillion/billion dollar law suit, whoever thinks that the money is going to come from the investors pockets is vastly mistaken!
    You and I are going to end up paying for it in overpriced hardware!

/end rant.

7. general22

general22 What's a Dremel?

Since when were AMD the pioneers of multi-core and IMC's, I highly doubt that Intel would lose their ability to make multi-core processors with IMC's.

8. Xir

Xir Modder

In this Forum? Mwaaaah :D

9. n3mo

n3mo What's a Dremel?

Actually, they would. If Intel pulls AMD's licence, AMD pulls Intel's and they're back to Pentium 4 times. But this won't happen, it's just Intel trying to scrape some $$$ while being unable to make a good CPU, losing market share quickly, plus the whole "recession" hype.

Tags: Add Tags