1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows internet problem

Discussion in 'Software' started by ido, 5 Dec 2002.

1. ido

ido What's a Dremel?

I'm trying to solve a friend's problem with his internet connection but have run out of ideas. On both win98SE and XP (he upgraded), when he opens a browser window and types certain addresses (i.e. yahoo.com), half of the time he'll get the "could not find www.addressname.com" error message. I tried flushing the cache and the DNS cache. I forgot to try only typing in the IP address instead of the domain name. Does anyone know of this problem or how to fix it? He's on an Alltel DSL connection. Thanks.

2. Boggy

Boggy What's a Dremel?

i ahd this problem........
    windows setup he has probably installed all of the internet services like web server etc try removing these sorry if this doesnt help i cant remember exactly what happend on my unit.
    i ahd the same problem with dns resolving issues.

3. tk421

tk421 Idiot.

try renaming the "hosts" file (no extension) to hosts.old, reboot and try again .... ive heard that can help dns resolution problems ...

4. ido

ido What's a Dremel?

Actually, I got him to call and he finally got through to them. They reset the modem from their end and it works fine now. I do this occasionally with my roadrunner connection, but it's harder for him cause they keep him on hold for hours. Let's hear it for customer service...

Tags: