1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Iron Ice:Update:4|09|04 :: Airbrushing Endeavors

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by [t0rc], 12 Jan 2004.

1. Albinn

Albinn What's a Dremel?

2. DETN8R

DETN8R What's a Dremel?

IT kind of looks like maybe your using that custom case kit. But 80/20( www.8020.net ) sells those same extrusions.

ScopeDOG and myself are both members of the 80/20 club.

Hehe, your case is looking alot like mine: http://www.pheatonforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=917
    None of my pics are working seeing as how ATT switched to comcast.

ScopEDogs: http://www.pheatonforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1959

3. [t0rc]

[t0rc] What's a Dremel?

Pictures are fixxxed

Thnx again for the heads up about the picture. Its fixed now. those are 92mm Tornado F5 fans. they sound like vaccuum cleaners...

Last edited: 30 Jan 2004
  4. [t0rc]

[t0rc] What's a Dremel?

Well...its official. An Update of sorts..

I had some time on my hands today so I went ahead and got to work. After cutting multiple practice pieces of the drive bays, I went ahead and cut out one. After getting the drive snugly in the bay hole, I started arranging the brackets and moved the sliding extrusion that I set up to proper positions to be able to hold the rest of the innards that will be put in. If your wondering why the cut for the first bay is so far away from the top, heres why: I need to run 2 bars from front to back up there to hold up the PSU. I think I will be able to put a bay up there to control fans/thermal readouts, etc. But Im going to wait until I get the bars arranged and the 620W PSU put in. Question of the day that I need opinions on ASAP, green lights on the inside, or red? After I cut out the window designs...yes, a window in the top, one in the front, and one on the removable side... after I cut out those I will take some pictures of the lights, and post them. :clap: :dremel:

Combo Pic:
    [​IMG]

5. [t0rc]

[t0rc] What's a Dremel?

*update*

I just finished cutting out the second drive bay and the removable vertical sliding panel. I decided to put in some ccfls real quick and get an opinion from you guys. Green or Red?

Heres the Green:
    [​IMG]

And Here Is the Red:
    [​IMG]

Post Away Please! And if you have any window design ideas that I could use, post em! :D :rock:

6. Providence

Providence What's a Dremel?

Since you're building your own case, why not keep with the ICE theme and vapchill it? Make a little case at the bottom of your PC for the vapochill unit, so it matches the rest of the aluminum.

Just a thought, I realize vapochilling is very expensive. :dremel:

7. TekMonkey

TekMonkey I enjoy cheese.

Yep, would be cool to have a vapochill unit :hip:.

I'd suggest going with a blue light theme since your project is called Iron Ice :thumb:

8. STellY

STellY What's a Dremel?

of those 2 i think green looks better..... however blue would suit your name better....

9. daydreamingknight

daydreamingknight What's a Dremel?

Very nice.. I like the green better than red...have you tried a blue/green combo? Heavier on the blue with a little green might look nice.

Keep up the good work:)

DDK

10. [t0rc]

[t0rc] What's a Dremel?

Due to popular opinion...

lol, well I'm going to order the blue ccfls in the morning, so they should arrive soon and I will post pics as soon as they are in my possession. As for the red, well they started smoking...a wire is loose in the bottom of the tube and they just stink horribly and flash with electrical sparks.... And I had a set of UV tubes but one of em decided to die. so now its really just one ccfl. Ugh. :lol: Hopefully the bloo werks out. I've been working on the window designs all the time. At school, at home, everywhere. I have drawn more than 200 designs and still don't have one that I am satisfied with. :sigh: :duh: :waah: Well updates should be along shortly. :eeek:

And Im going to try the blue/green combo when I get the blues. Good Idea!

11. TekMonkey

TekMonkey I enjoy cheese.

Hmm....these aren't new lights, I hope? I'd hate to think they'd sent out ccfls with a broken wire that started smoking...could be one heck of a lawsuit :rolleyes:.

If this is the first time you've used them, I'd demand a refund...if not, how careless are you that you messed up your cathodes :waah: ;)

12. [t0rc]

[t0rc] What's a Dremel?

ahhh

Well the cathodes were a chance I took. I bought em from a place that said they were customer returns, etc. So I'm not really surprised about that. They were cheap enuff it didnt matter.

13. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

Now here is my crazy two cents: do Red and Blue! It would seem kinda fitting, since your case is being called "Iron Ice" and all. Maybe you could mount a red CC on top and a blue CC on the bottom. As for a window, why dont you just cut a nice big Plexi Window with rounded corners? Then you can have a really cool design etched into the plexi that fits with the computer's name. Thus ends my crazy two cents worth :)

Keep up the good work!

14. coorz

coorz Miffed

I vote for red, fire 'n ice. Besides don't see too many red themed mods nowadays.

-edit-
    OR do like i did, 2x red and 2x green Luxeons.
    Benefits: smaller foot print (LOT smaller) :D
    You'll have either color with a flick of a switch, and both at once ofcoorz.

15. sqaulidhummer

sqaulidhummer What's a Dremel?

sweet , maybe you can try blue and green :D

16. borumas

borumas What's a Dremel?

Looks real nice so far, great job, how bout a window with a penguin in the foreground and then sand the plexi on both sides so it looks frozen- just a crazy thought. I used a Wringwraith in the forground and sanded the plexi in my project, you can see it here:
    http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=41046&page=4&pp=20

17. Wicked Li'l Bender

Wicked Li'l Bender What's a Dremel?

Looks really good... maybe you could have the blue in the bottom and the red up top, then etch some old battle mech half entombed in ice with the upper portions rusting in the hostile wastelands....
    Just a thought...

18. [t0rc]

[t0rc] What's a Dremel?

Good Good!

Good Ideas everyone, keep 'em coming!

19. Zoomer

Zoomer What's a Dremel?

Nice case so far, i had the same idea a while back but was gonna be wide and shorter but decided against it in the end becuse i could see the price of getting that stuff in the uk.

Anyway on the CC front I think out of those two the red looked better but that maby cos my next mod is taking that colour.

Apart from that either blue or UV would look good aswell.

20. jonesie

jonesie Minimodder

another vote for red. Natural light (including reflections from objects) averages out to green so red would stand out more. Besides it lookes better with the alu.