1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

is my heatsink good enough to OC

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Hells_Bliss, 3 Nov 2007.

1. Hells_Bliss

Hells_Bliss What's a Dremel?

G'day,

I've currently got a ZALMAN CNPS9500 AT 2 Ball CPU Cooling Fan/Heatsink cooling an E6600, when idle the cpu is at about 32C peaking at around 50C during burn in. While I was doing the stress test, the fan got up to 2300RPM, it's rated for 2650+-10% though. Do you think this'll be good enough to overclock the system to about 2.8-3GHz? Or should I throw in a better heatsink & fan? if the later, any recommendations?

Below is a quick look at the temps during the test
    Min Max Avg
    Temperatures
    MB 27 28 27.7
    CPU 31 44 35.5
    Core1 40 54 45
    Core2 39 50 42.8
    CPU Fan 1477 2304 1747

Thanks in advance

2. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

Only way to tell is to try it out. If the system looks like its getting too hot, or becomes unstable then lower the overclock a bit.

3. Hazardous

Hazardous What's a Dremel?

I agree.

There's no point in spending good money... even it's for a better cooler... if it's not needed :idea:

4. Oooo

Oooo What's a Dremel?

Agree whit above. Try to find out yourself by testing.

Can say I had mine OC:ed above your goal hitting close to 80 C peak and it didn´t complain at all.
    Just set the fan speed as high as possible all the time. Sacrifice noise for speed.

5. IAmATeaf

IAmATeaf Minimodder

There's quite a diff between the cores, have you checked to see how the HSF sits on the CPU, maybe lapping 1/other/both might give you another few degrees to play with.

6. Hells_Bliss

Hells_Bliss What's a Dremel?

I'll have a look at it tonight, it's sitting in pretty tight but it might be misaligned a little