1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Is your internet cutting out with windows 7

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by gerardmcmanus, 9 Nov 2011.

1. gerardmcmanus

gerardmcmanus What's a Dremel?

I had this problem on one of my new build pcs and couldn't fathom it, finally worked it out, so thought I would put a post about about it, in case anyone else is having the same problem and suffering in silence.

Every time I restarted my pc, or woke it up after going into sleep mode, I was having to reset my adapter in the device manager to reconnect to the internet. My first thought was that this issue was a windows 7 bug, as this didn't happen with my older machine running XP. However after some research and scouring the internet, I found that the culprit was adobe bonjour services, that was causing the default gateway to be set to 000.000.0.0.

To correct this issue type 'services' into your start menu's search box, and look for either 'bonjour service' or a service called 'id_string1.6844f930' and disable them.

There is a lagged startup option you can choose to ensure your internet connects before this has a chance to bugger the gateway, but I just disabled mine as in most cases you can get along fine without it anyway.

The purpose of this program is to allow other computer to automatically detect your machine without an IP, it comes with allot of apple products, adobe, itunes and skype etc. It has also been suggested online that it can create a hole in your firewall and potentially make your computer vunerable to malware.

So might be worth disabling even if you are not having any problems with it. The process should show up in your task manager as mDNSResponder.exe.

online sources
    http://forums.pcworld.com/index.php?/topic/98565-apple-bonjour-service/
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-networking/adobes-bonjour-service-seems-to-be-the-cause-of-my/55ce7a01-1a6a-4e10-96f2-be66428beab0

Last edited: 9 Nov 2011
  2. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?