1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Linux Jumping in with Linux....

Discussion in 'Software' started by Mr_Mistoffelees, 11 Aug 2015.

1. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

Been using Windows since 3.11 but, now that I have packed-in gaming and no longer work, so have plenty of time, I have decided it is time I gave Linux a proper try-out. I did try it some years ago but, got nowhere, still gaming and not enough time.

Any thoughts on a good distro to get started with? I have been thinking about Mint or Ubuntu but, for the first time in a very long time, I am a complete noob. I have already checked that I should be able to run all my hardware, including printer.

The plan is to run the W10 upgrade, to get registered on the activation system in case I go back to Windows, then jump in and learn about Linux. Only problem, so far, is there are so many distros to choose from.

2. deathtaker27

deathtaker27 Modder

I would recommend CENTOS which is essentially redhat (Linux Enterprise solution) works really well extremely stable, I don't touch ubuntu anymore but really it just comes down to personal preference, try a couple live disks out and see which one you like :)

3. bionicgeekgrrl

bionicgeekgrrl Minimodder

I'd recommend Linux Mint (Cinnamon), easy to use and set up. I've used it for years now over Ubuntu as I didn't like the changes Ubuntu made. Works great on my laptop and desktop.

4. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

I tend to go for Fedora for stability, Ubuntu/Mint for compatibility.

Ubuntu or one of it's derivatives [including Mint] is probably going to be the most n00b friendly...

Mostly it's a case of picking a back-end you get on with and pairing it with a desktop environment you like...

Last edited: 11 Aug 2015
  5. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

I'd go with ubuntu for the sake of available information and the increased likelihood of stuff you need working on it.

That being said Elmentary OS looks great too and its an Ubuntu derivative. Elementary comes with less programs installed by default which may mean you'll have to figure things out a tiny bit quicker.

The one thing about linux is that its not windows (shocker) But what I mean is, things are different in Linux and you'll have an easier time if you just go with it rather than try and hammer it back towards the way Windows acts, looks, feels etc.

Last edited: 11 Aug 2015
  6. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

Thanks for your thoughts, looks like I was leaning the right way, towards Ubuntu or Mint. Got plenty of time to play with them.

7. theshadow2001

Actually a virtual machine on VMWare Player or Oracle Virtualbox is also a great way to go if you just want to try things out. Its better than running a live disk on a real machine in my opinion.

8. WoodSmoke

WoodSmoke What's a Dremel?

One more vote for CentOS running in VMware Player. Here is how you can achive that: http://goo.gl/yBW0Ng

9. will_123

will_123 Small childs brain in a big body

Ubuntu for the reasons that theshadow mentioned. Lots of deb files availible and lots of users. Personally i dont like it but many do.

10. meandmymouth

meandmymouth Multimodder

I agree here. Linux Mint is lovely to use, particular the Cinnamon desktop.
    I can also recommend Ubuntu Gnome if you want something a little different. The Gnome desktop environment takes some getting used to, however.

11. law99

law99 Custom User Title

Linux is best when hammered into square holes.

Edit: seriously though... Debian has been great for me.

Last edited: 16 Sep 2015
  12. isaac12345

isaac12345 What's a Dremel?

Strongly recommend Linux Mint over Ubuntu. Stable and works right out of the box. Try others too like centOS in a VMWare player to see if you like it. Its a good idea.

13. GiGo

GiGo was once a nerd.....

I keep thinking of tinkering with Linux too. I have tried Ubuntu before and a few others, but always come back to Windows, in my searching of distro's I did find Chromixium OS, a cross between Chrome OS (which I do love, I know it's not a real Linux distro) and Ubuntu, it offers a simple and easy to use interface for n00bs of the ChromeOS with the underpins of Unbuntu for everything more advanced.

http://chromixium.org/

14. phuzz

phuzz This is a title

Mint is based on Ubuntu, so you get the benefit of there being a massive install base on Ubuntu (ie compatibility with basically everything, and any question you have has already been answered online somewhere). Mint is a little bit less bloated though.
    Most flavours of linux are basically the same when you get down to the command line (and you will sooner or later), but there's differences in things like which directories are used for storing different files between say a Debian based system (eg Ubuntu) and a Red Hat based system (eg Centos).
    Personally I tend to stick to Debian stuff, but that's just what I was introduced to.

I'll also agree with the people saying to try things out in a VM, it's quick and easy.

15. dinoscothern

dinoscothern Minimodder

I use Xubuntu at home and work on the desktop which is Ubuntu but with The Xfce desktop enviromemnt.
    Imo Redhat/CentOS is a primarily a server os, with nice long upgrade intervals and rock solid reliability/stability - Its not a thing I'd use for a general purpose desktop/gaming machine as things like mesa (graphics) are still changing relatively quickly and the versions in RedHat CentOS stay static in a major release. Some people use Fedora for that but I view Fedora as being a test platform with its short upgrade interval and history fun and games around upgrade times, but ymmv..

Xfce is not as shiny as the other desktops but I don't have to deal with a radical change every few years when the developers want to mix things.

I don't think changing desktops is that difficult, but I've been using Linux for a long time now. The hardest part for me is configuration. There are lots of desktops to choose from. I've tried Kde, the older Gnomes, Awesome and a few others, but always went back to Xfce.

You could grab a few live images (cd/dvd/usb or whatever) and play with them, there a lots to choose from and you can see what you like, and test compatibility with the hardware you have. I don't tend to have hardware issues these days, but I have been tripped up in the past.

At work I use a windows vm for those corporate applications that work best there and the support desk are comfortable with.

I still think using Linux is fun, it used to be achievement in itself (a long, long time ago), but now its mostly a means to an end - do the things you want to do, So my final suggestion is to have fun :)

16. Behemoth

Behemoth Timelord in training

I was running and quite happy with it on my Laptop, Linux Mint XFE or whatever version it was.

I was getting quite the dab hand with it too. I found it booted quicker than Windows ever did, every app that I wanted to use was also available on Linux - I also found that a good third of my steam games were playable on Linux.

The only thing really stopping me moving to it full time is that all the games I want to play are the ones currently not available for Linux, and once that happens it will be move over Windows, everything in my house will be Linux.

17. theshadow2001

I agree games are the only thing keeping me on windows. Especially the way things are going these days. You might find this interesting. I will give it a go myself eventually but not in the near future unfortunately.

Tags: