1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News LaCie announces USB 3.0 drive

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 18 Dec 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

Think I'll wait for a while, performance doesn't seem that great. If you've got enough space in yer case, why bother when 3Gb sata appears to be slightly faster. I am of course referring to mechanical drives too as I can't quite stomach an SSD let alone 2!

Last edited: 18 Dec 2009
  3. Icy EyeG

Icy EyeG Controlled by Eyebrow Powers™

I'll also wait. I bought a 200 Gb FireWire 800 D2 HDD back in the day... However, LaCie released the extreme series 6 months or so later that doubled the performance...
    So if I waited to make the investment I'd get a better performing disk for the same price!
    BTW I'm still using it (with a 500 Gb HDD), but I've learned my lesson and won't be an early adopter for USB 3.0.

4. LAGMonkey

LAGMonkey Group 7 error

As long as this starts to bring down the price of individual 2TB drives (without enclosure) then ill be happy. At the moment, my next drive upgrade is looking eyewatering and id like the price to come down before i commit to buying 4 of them (RAID 5 donchanow).

other than that. good move, as you really want RAID to take advantage of the bus speed.

5. ssj12

ssj12 Minimodder

exactly, ill wait for true SATA 6Gb/s support. HDDs and SSDs will fly.

6. NethLyn

NethLyn Minimodder

Yeah I think after USB 1 to 1.1 to 2.0, FW 400 to 800 and whatever followed on Macs only, and now 3rd generation SATA following behind eSATA, I'm tired of having interfaces which I've bought expansion cards for which then become integrated before being superseded, especially since you may need new external cabling for USB 3.0 if I read Micro-Mart correctly.

Fair play it's the market at work and whole PCs have had a rise in sales thanks to laptops so peripherals have to move up too, probably just the time of year making me think about cost...

7. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

USB 3 or Sata 600 (3.0) 2 disks will transfer data same rate, so see no benefit using esata over an USB 3 port, most users still use USB 2 drives over esata (only in the last 2 months on my basic bare bone cases come with Esata)

the USB 3 cable will come with the device so no issue there (you do still need USB 3 ports on the pc/laptop) (unless its an USB printer like that make much deference in printer speed usb 2 or 3)

8. Saivert

Saivert Minimodder

To Icy EyeG:
    when has early adoption ever given you the best deal? get real.

The box looks good though. Aluminium <3

Tags: Add Tags