1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Larrabee die shot tips up

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 14 May 2009.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. tejas

tejas What's a Dremel?

yawn... wake me up when something interesting and fast comes along like Nvidia GT300 or AMD/ATI RV870

3. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

Amen..

4. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

I don't know... Larrabee has some interesting potential. It really just depends what it's performance/watt is going to be like. Probably terrible, but we'll have to wait and see.

5. chicorasia

chicorasia What's a Dremel?

Intel's hype machine seems to be kicking into overdrive... But they'd better show Larrabee actually working...

As for the claims of superior technology... You know, history is full of failed products that were far superior to their competitors, but never could amass enough support and ended up discontinued.

The whole PC industry is locked on the path of CPU + GPU configuration (this is called, non-surprisingly, path-dependency...). Changing paths is enormously expensive, and either Intel is seeing something we are all missing (and they will be granted a renewed monopoly of the pc platform), or they are headed straight to the wall.

6. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

I believe in Larry. It won't win the performance crown but it might as well be a competitor for both nVidia and ATi. If not in the high-end market, maybe in the mid-market segment or for professionals if Intel's claims are at least somehow based on reality.

7. Xir

Xir Modder

what? no cache on this die?

Or have they counted cachefields as cores?

8. technogiant

technogiant What's a Dremel?

From what I've read Intel know they are not going to win the performance crown...at least with the first iteration of larrabee....but in the mid range market to have a graphics card which can also accelerate many everyday tasks is an obvious win solution. Once it secures a good foothold in the mid range market then software/game developers will start to program towards it particular strengths, perhaps raytracing and from there it will go on to take the high end market also....I guess what I'm saying is that it's not going to be a flash bang event but more of a several year process which intel will win in the end.

9. alpaca

alpaca llama eats dremel

mhm... each process its own core... and 20 cores over to game on... me like. hope win7 is up to the task.

10. b5k

b5k What's a Dremel?

If you look at what John Carmack has said in recent years and continues to say, Raytracing is not the way forward for modern game software. Even if there were things capable of running it, it'd be so stupidly expensive in terms of performance vs. gains, that there's no real point to it. Look up his speech on idTech 6.

11. technogiant

technogiant What's a Dremel?

Who knows perhaps we will end up with a hybrid of both......the extremes of any argument never seem to be the final solution....I'm just hoping that all the new stuff that is floating around at the moment ( larrabee, gpgpu, lucidlogix hydra engine and the caustic raytracing system) actually gell together to provide a real boost to what is possible....interesting times indeed.

Tags: Add Tags