1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Photos Latest Purchases Thread: v2.0

Discussion in 'General' started by RTT, 29 Oct 2007.

1. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Some holiday supplies.

A Canon SX720HS camera & a 2nd-hand (but mint) Fiio X1.

[​IMG]

2. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

Nice, my wife has an X1 and it's a great player. Route it through an amp and it gets even better. I went straight for the X5 and E12A combo which has been amazing.

3. Darkwisdom

Darkwisdom Level 99 Retro Nerd

What are those FiiO X1's sounding like in comparison to a smartphone?

4. Maki role

Maki role Dale you're on a roll... Lover of bit-tech

I'm sort of tempted to pick up a mobile amp so that I can use my headphones properly, rather than resorting to getting some in-ear ones or similar. My T90s are so comfortable, but the volume is so low from a phone, which makes using them out and about quite difficult.

I recently picked up this beauty from fleabay:

[​IMG]

It's a classic, fully restored Meddings Drill-Thru single phase. From what I've read about them, this thing should outlive me. I've been wanted to replace my current drill for ages as it has real trouble handling large diameter holes (and I have good drill bits so that ain't the problem). My Dad and brother went to collect it yesterday as I'm in Taiwan ATM, apparently it weighs a tonne. I didn't fancy he idea of restoring a drill myself as I was a bit worried that I might never get round to finishing it, or just as bad, do a poor job of it.

There's just something cool about old tools. They feel like they have a story and that you're just the next step in the journey. I guess that's what a lot of people see in antique hand planes and whatnot, the thought that perhaps 80 years ago (and in my case 35) somebody was sitting down making something with that very tool.

5. Bede

Bede Minimodder

Nice drill!

Latest purchase Alienware 15. Two thoughts on this:

1) Dell's website is terribly misleading. You can spec two laptops in the same range with the same parts and come up with costs over £100 apart. It is anti-consumer, either through malice or incompetence.
    2) Talk to Dell. I got 10pc off without trying, and frankly I suspect there is more available if you are pushier than I am.

6. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

100 copies got me, number sixty-something IS MINE!
    [​IMG]

Now I just need a frame and somewhere to hang it.

7. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Even with mp3's, it sounds AMAZING! I'm loading some FLAC files to listen to today. :hip:

disclaimer: I'm using Sennheiser PCX-250 II noise cancelling headphones.

8. Spanky

Spanky Multimodder

Agree! Bought one a couple weeks back with a A3 Killimanjaro Amp along with Audio Technica ATX40 cans.

Its loud!!

9. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

Not my picture but this is the setup I am currently using. A Fiio X5 with an E12A amp plus connecting kit. I use a set of Etymotic ER4s IEMs (these need the amp) with this as I want a set of earphones that play exactly what I put into them without any "enhancement"

[​IMG]

I went straight for the X5 when I was getting my bits and pieces sorted out but my wife went for the X1 as she doesn't use it nearly as much as I do (public transport...). Sure, I can tell the difference when playing the same files through them although I doubt that would be the case with lower end earphones.

Next on the list are a set of custom ear tips.

10. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

I've switched out the (aging) Sennheisers for some Bose QC25s.

11. Journeyer

Journeyer Minimodder

- Tickets for 4 adults and 2 children to stay at the Legoland Holiday Village for 3 nights this summer
    - Airline tickets for the same purpose

12. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

13. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

This is amazing. I was doing some woodworking earlier today and thought "if only I had a drill press...". This reminds me of what we used in school some 20 years ago when we had woodworking class. These things are built like tanks and I'd far sooner buy one of those than something new.

14. goldstar0011

goldstar0011 Multimodder

Thanks for reminding me it was nearly 20 years ago when I used one of these!

15. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

Same here used one last 20 years ago fir my gcse dt project. Crap thing is my old school got shut down 10 years ago, and they sold all of the DT class hardware i found out too late. My friends garage is kitted out with all the tools, he baught most of it for well under 1k which included router bench, lathes, sheet benders band saw, table saw, chop saw etc. All looking brand new most of it was installed in 1995.

16. legoman

legoman breaker of things

I think they built them like that because they knew the abuse they would get, one thing going on my list for when I move is one of those, an many other power toys/tools

17. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Dipping my toe in the cordless Makita range with a DHP456z drill, and DBO180z orbit sander.

Also some steel braided teflon hose for my PAS in the RS. Bye-bye ****-tacular rusty pipes, hello neat and tidy AN-6 hose!

Oh, and a Thermapen 3.

18. legoman

legoman breaker of things

New jersey, thought may as well get one for the bike

[​IMG]

19. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Overclocking for vapers? :p

20. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

For the clouds bro :rock: