1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Law & Order game pulled from UK shelves

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Da Dego, 20 Jun 2007.

1. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

2. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

To be honest, I imagine that the artist who did it wouldn't have even realised what he had done, just copied a photo from the net or something... He's probably feeling pretty **** right now.

3. Nature

Nature Minimodder

Thank you for keeping it real, Da Dego.

On one hand, this kind of censorship cleans up an already filthy society.

On the other, what government has the right to limit it's peoples freedoms?

And on the other, who would actually play Law & Order the game?

4. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

QFT. Maybe it was done deliberately to make the game seem as 'bad' (in a slang, good way) as Manhunt?

5. Speedo

Speedo What's a Dremel?

Never even heard of the game, but using that photo knowingly is bad taste at least. As above, it probably wasn't realised.

The new publicity still won't get me to buy it though, or even investigate :p.

6. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

I'm not so sure about that, I bet it was done on purpose, not to offend anyone, not to cause trouble, but to put an "easter egg" in the game for people to see. Ever play fallout? that games full of easter eggs and thats the sort of thing that I mean. they put something in for the diehard core fans to spot. I bet that whoever did it regrets it, and is looking back saying "why did I do that". Again, this is just my opinion.

7. CardJoe

That type of thing wouldn't really be an easter egg though as it's in plain sight and of no significance to the game or the series in any way.

Fallout rocked though, with the King Arthur and Holy Hand Grenade easter egg.

8. Tulatin

Tulatin The Froggy Poster

And in other news, society is afflicted with chronic vagintus.

Sure, the photo may be in poor taste, but what shall we do? Bitch bitch bitch!

9. Spacecowboy92

Spacecowboy92 Gettin' Lazy

I heard about this yesterday, it will probaly just be a small update if they want to re-release it. Although they would probaly loose money burning the disks all over again.

10. Nature

Nature Minimodder

11. Drexial

Drexial Minimodder

its chronic sandy-vaginitus

i wonder how many TV specials on the kidnapping there were where the picture or video was shown. its only tasteless now that the kid was found. man human beings have this serious issue with closure. if they are dead and gone, they are dead and gone. if i get kidnapped id rather people saw it over and over again so they don't get stuck in the same situation. i'm sure i will die doing something stupid and if there is video of it i hope i get a darwin award so either A) people go hey thats a stupid thing i probably should do that or B) other stupid people see it do the same thing and die, cause darwinism really needs to start working, instead stupid people keep seeming to kill good people (example, drunk driving)

i do understand that a picture in a game isn't necessarily teaching anyone, but this press has reminded us. i'm sure anyone that has no idea who this kid was has googled it by now.

12. SNIPERMikeUK

SNIPERMikeUK What's a Dremel?

Oh look!!!

Seems gaming has got a bad name again what with the recent press, whether it be a religious church on a ps3, or a high profile case in a law and order game (which by the way should have just been fictional throughout and is a alltime low for a game), and then we come to manhunt, none of these games are any good all crap violence driven cash in or in resistance fall of men case just crap.

But it leads to many things bad publicity like this, they will be watching the games industry with rose tinted glasses off from now on. And will hound anything that is slightly immoral (yes Grand Theft Auto 4 is out in october time or is it ??), surely it will not stop here after all.....

13. Aankhen

Aankhen What's a Dremel?

Every government has not only the right but also the obligation to limit its people's freedoms.

14. Neogumbercules

Neogumbercules What's a Dremel?

Law and Order: Something of the what now...?

15. Stuey

Stuey You will be defenestrated!

I think that this was a fair recall. On the other hand, if it were somewhere else, say where a judge can sue a drycleaner's for millions of dollars, there'd have been a huge lawsuit before a game recall.

16. Nature

Nature Minimodder

I disagree. An Obligation to limit people's freedoms? Are you sure thats what you meant to say? Frankly I'm surprised such an opinion could come from a Westerner, let alone a Canadian.

A government should should govern, protect, and let it's people flourish(though looking at my writing and yours, strickedly in Our humble opinions) .
    Unless something is so hanus and universaly wrong, that is also a fresh induction to society, (like Manhunt, but whos to say) and is more than contreversial but obviously sinister in the good morally sound opinion of a member of the human race.

QFT??

17. CardJoe

A government such as ours is elected by the people to serve the people and protect the people...supposedly. They may limit our freedoms and take any other steps towards these measures and we as the governed may rise up if we disagree.

Of course, one vote every four years to choose from one of two or three people as a Prime Minister isn't really democracy, it's illusionary democracy built to keep people passive though I'm sure that wasn't a planned intent originally.

18. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

Pull the offending scene, rerelease. Better to lose money pressing all the disks again (like pressing CDs costs a lot of money... yeah, right) then to lose money by not selling the game any more. Even if it isn't very good.

And the sales figures might go up, what with some people's attitude to 'I need to find something else that is controversial...' or 'Let's see what all the fuss was about...'

19. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

Why are people blaming the government? Do people not read the articles? It was the publisher that choose to recall the game and reprint it.

It makes them look good because they react quickly to complaints.

20. completemadness

completemadness What's a Dremel?

i think that deserves a big QFT

the sad thing with politics (at least in the UK) is that the 'choices' you get are awful, its more a case of choosing the least bad candidate

Tags: Add Tags