1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Leopard unveiled for Apple Macs

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 26 Oct 2007.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. BioSniper

BioSniper Minimodder

Apple's OS pricing schemes are one that MS could learn from IMO. Lower costs are a GOOD thing.

3. cjoyce1980

cjoyce1980 What's a Dremel?

all i need is a new mac book and i can download pron at full speed

4. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Headed out around 4:30 today to get some pics of sweaty geeks before I join the line myself. On second thought... maybe I'll skip the first step. Well, camera's already in the car, so we'll see :/

5. kylew

kylew What's a Dremel?

"Leopard boasts over 300 new features over Tiger and previous OS' "

That would be "OSes" apostrophes aren't used for plurals ;), Good article though. :)

6. Bursar

Bursar What's a Dremel?

Bio: Are the precies really lower? Is having to pay for fixes and a few new features every 6 months better than buying an OS once and getting your patches and updates for free?

7. woodshop

woodshop UnSeenly

i pre ordered off amazon for $20 off, should arrive monday which is fine cause thats when the USB drive arrives that i need to do the backup before nuke and pave. lol.

I to found the Time Machine rather disappointing... but my #1 feature is "RSS in Mail" FINALLY.

8. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

The new version of Safari is excellent! In all, the user experience is much improved over Tiger.

9. Firehed

Six months? It's been two years, and the new features are actually functional. Unlike waiting 6 years for Vista, getting some transparencies and a flawed and irritating UAC system.

Now I'm not going to pretend that the 300+ features are all worth mentioning, but the top ten alone are worth $15 each which covers the cost of the OS and then a bit. And you can buy the family pack if you've got multiple users and pay only $40/user.

10. RTT

RTT #parp

Whaaa? :confused: OS X 'updates' are major revisions and the last time a major revision was released (10.4 Tiger) was over two years ago, and 10.3 was two years before that!

In the time between XP and Vista, upgrading through 10.1 to 10.5 will have cost you less than buying (retail copies of) XP Pro and then Vista Ultimate, FYI :D

11. pillow

pillow What's a Dremel?

my macbook updates itself for free. wasn't tiger released 2 years ago, thats a lil more than 6 months. so what are you talking about? so yes the prices are different.
    i think the student discount should be more than 15 dollars, but thats just me.

12. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

Being as Tiger (10.4) was released almost 2.5 years ago to the day, I fail to see what you're asking...It's been patched and fixed regularly for the whole period via a system quite similar to Windows Update (minus the breaking itself thing)?

13. RTT

RTT #parp

Depending on where you are, check if your school has its own Apple Education Store - it will often cheaper than using the 'Global' Apple Education Store. Schools can actually set their own pricing for certain Apple products and Apple software is one of those :)

14. Firehed

Too true. Most Windows users think of the major revisions as service packs of sorts, but that's really not the case. Service packs are really supposed to be collections of patches, which is what the minor revisions really are. It's more like Panther had through SP9 released, and Tiger is coming up on SP11. They're just smaller and more frequent. New features aren't supposed to be service pack things (firewall settings in XPSP2 notwithstanding, as that's really a security thing more than a feature), and Leopard is about new features, not bug fixes. Unless you consider UI irritations to be bugs.

15. Bluephoenix

Bluephoenix Spoon? What spoon?

I'll still stick to my PC and Vista, where I actually have control of the hardware.

only way I'll ever use leopard is if I really feel the urge to buy a copy to run as OSX86 (perfectly doable using VMs as long as you have a licensed copy)

16. TheVoice

TheVoice What's a Dremel?

My housemate got Leopard today, and has installed it on his two Macs. Says he's not hugely impressed, quite underwhelmed, disappointed there aren't more new (and obvious) features and little additions. Vista was more impressive, apparently.

17. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

New menu bar at the bottom? Don't you mean either new menu bar at the top or new dock at the bottom.

Leopard, not really worth asking me, of course I wont get it, Vista already does it all already.

18. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

the multiple desktops looks to be the most useful thing for me. means i can use one for web browsing, one for photoshopping, another for media. less clutter per desktop and a lot more tidyness :D major bonus. really major bonus.

19. Robotrix

Robotrix What's a Dremel?

Really? You mean Microsoft should start charging for their service packs?

20. pillow

pillow What's a Dremel?

apple charges for updates i did not realize that? on my macbook everything has updated for FREE. the last update (os) was tiger over two years ago. so unless your calling updating the operating updates, they come out every 2 years and are new os, like vista, but much cheaper. also, you may not have complete control over the exact brand of motherboard or videocard that goes into the macbook, but you can still decide on ram, processor. You can still choose different processors, and amount of hd space or ram that goes in.

the school im at has no apple store, although were i live there is one, and my parents work at the university there so i might be able to get it cheaper back home, ill be back for thanksgiving.

Tags: Add Tags