1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Logitech G400 Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 28 Sep 2011.

1. arcticstoat

arcticstoat Minimodder

2. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

I never got along with Logitech's grip ergonomics. Although I wish logitech had made the Ikari. This mouse will probably last as long as the MX series. Those things are tanks.

3. sp4nky

sp4nky BF3: Aardfrith WoT: McGubbins

I love my MX518 - the shape perfectly fits my hand and feels natural. The only thing that's missing is a customizable button for my pinky. If this mouse died, which I don't think is likely to happen, I'd buy a G400 in a heartbeat.

4. tranc3

tranc3 ADHD Modder

Makes me miss my G5 :( RIP. Old school Bit-tech is pretty old school, "Next gen console"... and it's an Original Xbox.

5. chrismarkham1982

chrismarkham1982 Multimodder

Carbon copy of the MX518, no bad thing, just wish mine hadnt died when i had no money :(

6. hyperion

hyperion Minimodder

MX500 is a legend. I hadn't used mine in 6 years and dug it up a few months ago for a build I gave to my best friend. Cleaned up the years of dirt with some alcohol wet-wipes and it worked flawlessly and looked like new. Totally off topic but couldn't help the nostalgia :blush:

7. Nedsbeds

Nedsbeds Badger, Slime, Weasel!!

I still use my mx500. Donkey's years old and It's looking a little worn now but still my favourite mouse to use.

8. tad2008

tad2008 What's a Dremel?

Shudders at how BT used to look, glad I hadn't found you way back then would probably have run away screaming.

I have one of the MX mice and it's fantastic, to be honest, logitech and mice and keyboards anyone would be hard pressed to ever go wrong.

9. Glix

Glix Left Thumb Stick in the mud.

Is this a review? Sigh worst mouse review I have ever read. I have 2 mx518's, ver 1 and 2, and wouldn't bother buying a G400. 3600 dpi? Probably interp'd, but since you didn't bother to test the sensor or any technical info about it... No info on the feel of the buttons and scroll... useless info about a button assigned to reset the dpi setting which can easily be configured... No info on the mouse feet...

:/

10. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

Considering that the G500 has pretty much the same shape, has more features, more buttons, a much better sensor and can be had for £6 more I know which I would have... Oh look, I do own a G500 and have since it pretty much came out. When you use something as much as a mouse or keyboard, is it really worth saving just a couple of £'s against something far more superior?

11. Lockon Stratos

Lockon Stratos I Will Snipe You!

I was about to say the same thing myself. I purchased my G500 for £35 (I downgraded from a G9 - Hated the shape of that thing) from amazon. Higher DPI, Better laser, and a few more buttons while still retaining the same shape.

NOT ONLY THAT!

the laser from the G500 is taken from the G9x - a £60+ mouse!

I have no idea what Logitech are trying to acomplish here. they are trying to squeeze this mouse in between the G500 and the ones below it, but its not going to work unless the mouse is sold at £25 or less.

12. MightyBenihana

MightyBenihana Do or do not, there is no try

I prefer a more simple mouse like this and I love my MX518. If only they had put a lazer into this one it would be a no brainer for me. Just as some people like subtle and simple gaming cases the same holds true for gaming mice.

There is something about the G500 I just can't like but I can't put my finger on it, maybe its that slide thing in the middle and the two buttons next to the left click - they just look uncomfortable.

13. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

Personally, I'd take the G400 over the G500 - the G500's thumb button arrangement is just hideous, which is far more important to me personally than a few extra DPI!

14. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

My 5 year old G5 is still going strong. If I had to replace it, it would probably be with the G400.

15. Darkefire

Darkefire What's a Dremel?

My G5 is still going strong as well, although I think I'd rather upgrade to the G500 because of the better features. In particular I absolutely love the super-fast scroll wheel that it shares with my Anywhere MX, it makes the scroll wheel on my G5 feel old and clunky. I'm not really sure what Logitech is looking to accomplish with this mouse unless they're going for outright nostalgia value for everyone that has fond memories of the MX518 (which wasn't my style anyways, I rolled with an MX Duo).

16. Drexial

Drexial Minimodder

My original MX500 is still alive and kicking, even after I modded out the red for a blue LED. I then did the same for my MX518, which unfortunately recently died. It took me a month to admit to myself that my trusty MX518 had reached its retirement age. It put up with a lot of abuse between the several hundred hours in BF2 and then a a hundred more in BF:BC2 as well as all the time spent in Team Fortress, HL, Guild Wars, Doom, Crysis, and several other games I have spent hours of my life on, sitting in front of the glow of my CRT then LCD display. I beat the living piss out of it, it was eventually a short in the cable that did it in. The MX518 was the longest running piece of hardware I owned. I even had a G5 that I never used, it just didn't feel right even at the same resolution settings.

I have since replaced it with the G500. I can't say it wasn't a smooth transition. I don't care for the location changes of the resolution settings, but the feel and response is right. I do love the lower resolution setting, both in games and Photoshop.

I can't say I still don't hold the MX518 dear, but I have moved on. I just wish this was released sooner.

17. kzinti1

kzinti1 What's a Dremel?

The original Bit Tech was awesome! Way better than this one. This was also the first X-Box review I've ever seen. I bought my X-Box just before my 1st computer, then relegated the X-Box to the closet. A mistake I'm going to rectify asap.
    Damn! I forgot to read the mouse review!
    (Okay. I just went back for the mouse review. If I hadn't completely worn out my MX-518 I wouldn't bother switching to this new version. It just ain't that appealing anymore. I'll stick with my overly-excellent Microsoft Sidewinder X8. It's so good that I bought another for a back-up because I didn't expect that there would ever be another as good. So far, I was right!)

Last edited: 28 Sep 2011
  18. l3v1ck

l3v1ck Fueling the world, one oil well at a time.

I see what you meant on the last podcast about peripheral designs not really changing.

Sent from Bit-Tech Android app

19. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

If it works... why change it?

20. l3v1ck

l3v1ck Fueling the world, one oil well at a time.

I wasn't criticising it. I was just highlighting it as a perfectly good example of what they were talking about.

Sent from Bit-Tech Android app

Tags: Add Tags