1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals Looking for mechanical keyboard advice

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by silk186, 24 Feb 2020.

1. silk186

silk186 Derp

I have tried a number of Chinese mechanical keyboards including a KeyCool hero 87, AJAZZ AK33S and Royal Kludge RK61. After using an RK61 for a few years I have grown to love the 60% layout which was previously a necessity due to limited workspace. I have decided to upgrade to a more premium keyboard partly because of noise and partly because my Ctrl key only works when it wants to.

I thought I had found the perfect replacement with the Ducky Mecha Mini, a 60% board with Cherry switches, full aluminium casing, PBT double-shot seamless keycaps, USB Type-C detachable cable, RGB lighting and a reasonable price point (£125). The board looks perfect … except it lacks arrow keys. I can wait for a Mecha 65% it has wasted space and unnecessary home keys. Does the perfect 60% mechanical keyboard exist for me, is one expected to come out later this year, or due I need to compromise?

Alternatively, I can build one or buy a kit but I don't even know where to start. Basically, something like a Mecha SF with aluminium - 60-65% with arrow keys, cherry brown or better switches, USB-C, LED RGB (because why not), A solid case with aluminium backplate, good stabilisers, solderless because I don't have the equipment and don't want to learn on a keyboard, no Bluetooth, Doubleshot caps. Basically, something solid, reliable and quiet to type on. I have no idea if this would work out cheaper or cost a lot more.

My current board is the bottom one, a 60% with arrow keys.
    [​IMG]
    Ducky Mecha Mini 60% - perfect if it had arrow keys
    [​IMG]

2. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

Filco Majestouch Minila (Air)?
    (no lighting as far as I can tell though)

Tex Beetle TKL is along the same lines too.

Last edited: 25 Feb 2020
  3. BeauchN

BeauchN Multimodder

Not cheap, but the ALT from Massdrop (or is it just drop now?) might fit your requirements, I’m pretty sure that’s about 60% with arrow keys.

4. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

I rather like that middle one, is that the 65%? I like having home and end keys for selecting stuff and navigation.

5. MadGinga

MadGinga oooh whats this do?

Dont most 60% KBs provide arrow keys via a function key/layer? The Poker II i have does...

6. silk186

silk186 Derp

AJAZZ AK33, £22. Good bang for buck option to try a mech keyboard.

The_Crapman likes this.
  7. silk186

silk186 Derp

I prefer dedicated arrow keys.

The alt looks nice but £200 is too much.

8. Dr. Coin

Dr. Coin Multimodder

9. silk186

silk186 Derp

Not nearly as good as a keyboard that includes them. I do use them fairly frequently and they are present on my current 60% 61 key keyboard.
    Unfortunately, it seems that this layout is not common and I will need to look at 65% options.