1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Notebooks Looking for mid range laptop but I'm confused....:wallbash:

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SirFur, 8 Sep 2013.

1. SirFur

SirFur PC Gamer and LAzy B0nes

Hi guys,

Finding it quite difficult to find the right laptop for my brother. :wallbash:

Looking for a 17inch laptop to be used as a desktop replacement, but one that isn't too heavy and has a good battery life. It will be moved around but used as a portable work/study computer. He will be using it for university work.

He does want to play games too but he is not an avid hardcore gamer and he does not require up to date graphics though he would like to be able to at least fire up TF2 for some online fun occasionally.

I've been looking through various sites but not really able to quantify how good a laptop is. I just don't unerstand the laptop variants of the processors and graphics cards. I am wondering if there is a laptop component guide which I can use to help me ascertain the quality of them. In addition, any laptop suggestions would be very much welcomed.

Budget- £around 750
    Features required- 17inch, long battery life, a decent mid range GPU
    Use- 85% office/browsing, otherwise watching films and mid range gaming

Thanks in advance guys!

A couple of laptops that look promising include: HP ENVY 17-j053ea for £800 after cashback.

2. mansueto

mansueto Too broke to mod

Does it NEED to be 17? I'd personally go with a 15 and just have an external monitor. Also, have you considered the AMD route with their apu's? For the price they are pretty solid.

As for what laptop to actually purchase, I know most companies have good reps, from my personal experience I'd avoid acer's though as all the ones i've ever worked on have felt extremely cheap and flimsy. May be worth taking a drive to the stores to actually type on them / hold them as some look alright but feel very cheap and can have keyboards that kind of just buckle, feeling very cheap.

3. SirFur

Well. yeah apparently it does have to be 17inch....that's my big issue with him. He wants a huge screen, but there is so little variety with a big screen laptop. So it's difficult to really find the right price with a decent GPU. AT 15inch its no problem, but I'm pushing the budget here with that HP one. The other laptop is an ACER Aspire V3-772G 17.3" Laptop at similar price. But I agree Acer seems a little flimsy.

4. wolf5ster

wolf5ster Minimodder

5. SirFur

Hmm... that's a 15inch though I'm afraid.

This is quite a bit below spec to the HP one I linked above but doesn't look half bad.... LENOVO G700 17.3" Laptop

6. SirFur

Bump

7. mucgoo

mucgoo Minimodder