1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Lord of the Rings Online

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 11 May 2007.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. DarkReaper

DarkReaper Alignment: Sarcastic Good

Can't see any of the pictures on pages 3-6...

3. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

Yeah, we noticed that too. Should be fixed now, damn new content engine!

[​IMG]

Last edited: 11 May 2007
  4. AngelOfRage

AngelOfRage Minimodder

I'm currently playing WoW and i see nothing in LotR Online to make me switch.

The only thing that may draw me away is Warhammer Online, if done correctly, they have the background to make a really good MMORPG.

5. Dr. Strangelove

Dr. Strangelove What's a Dremel?

Same for me, except I play GW.

6. Nictron

Nictron Minimodder

Tell me did you test the game under Vista or did you use XP?

I have huge performance issues with this game.

AMD X2 4400+
    2048 MB Ram
    8800 GTX
    Win Vista
    158.18 Driver

It stutters and crashes like hell every now and then, if I switch off post processing then it runs ok for about 2 hours on Ultra High.

At work I have the following:

Dell Precicion M90 Laptop.
    Core 2 1.8 Ghz
    2048 MB Ram
    Quatro FX2500 Workstation Graphics
    WinXP
    92.77 Driver

And it runs 10 time better than my home machine and believe you me that should not be. 3dMark Score at home is 8000+ and work it 4000+, so the machine that has double the horsepower stuggles because of Vista!

Any advise from you?

7. pendragon

pendragon I pickle they

my vote: I don't think this will stop WoW in the least.

8. CardJoe

We tested it under XP. Vista is for wusses :p

9. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

Real men break stuff then fix it. Real wusses don't experiment.

10. Florian

Florian Minimodder

There's a "Very High" texture resolution setting the retail client that's missing from the beta client.

"from Codemasters" is misleading. The Game was developed by Turbine. Codemasters only handles the European servers and distribution.

11. Burdman27911

Burdman27911 What's a Dremel?

QFT

HERE is a link to a comparison of the "high" textures and the "very high" ones.

12. xPaladin

xPaladin What's a Dremel?

Why does every game have to be a "WoW killer"? I think we're giving WoW a bit too much credit aren't we?

WoW will collapse, like almost all other MMOGs before it, under its own weight. No single game, or combination thereof, is going to kill it. Other games might leech a few subs, but, really, the "killer" stigma is just unnecessary hype.

I'd rather take the game for what it is and not for what it is in comparison to WoW.

13. CardJoe

On it's own it still stands as an awesome game.

14. Orca

Orca What's a Dremel?

Nice review :) I have this sitting on my shelf at the moment but am refusing to open it due to it being finals month. Temptation sucks :( I'm looking forward to the potential expansions/updates to the game as well.

15. breakspirit

breakspirit What's a Dremel?

I think you're underestimating how insanely popular WoW is and how long it has been. I agree that eventually it will collapse, but if that doesn't happen for several more YEARS, which I'd say is the soonest it would happen, then yeah every game of its genre should be compared to the 800 pound gorilla of the group. WoW has the masses, every other mmorpg is just serving the stragglers.

16. wafflesomd

wafflesomd What's a Dremel?

But, WoW isn't even fun.

17. Highland3r

Highland3r Minimodder

From the screenies, it looks like a skinned version of WoW... Can see it offering some competition, but it looks to be much of the same. Why quit WoW (or another MMORPG) to start playing another one which is exactly the same? Can see some people who are unhappy with the way WoW's progressing at the moment making a move, but existing players might not wish to spend time on 2 games at once.
    Graphics looks pretty nice though, and it does seem to offer more in the way of casual gameplay than WoW from what I've heard.

18. TimB

TimB What's a Dremel?

They already have the first expansion slated for a June release. It's "The Shores of Evendium", and it's free.

19. AngelOfRage

AngelOfRage Minimodder

Thats fine for you, but for the people that play WoW (and that is a huge amount...) it does matter.

Most (sane) people only have room in their lives for 1 MMORPG, so if it doesn't come up against the current top game, what chance of drawing customers away does it have?

20. Solidus

Solidus Superhuman

Sorry to disagree but this game will never steal World of Warcrafts Crown. Its going to take something immensely special to knock WoW off the top spot and iv yet to see anything that comes even close.
    I dont even play world of warcraft anymore, i havnt done so in years but its still so far ahead in every way - It wont be beaten.

The only way i see WoW being beaten is if Blizzard do it by their own hand. Starcraft which is about 10 years old is still popular to this day, so is warcraft 3 and now World of Warcraft.
    I wouldnt hold your breath on WoW toppling over....Blizzard are planning to make an announcement on 19th may for a game, everyone is expecting Starcraft and i doubt blizzard are dumb enough to make another MMorpg for that as Wow will suffer. It will probably be a RTS genre i presume to follow Warcraft 3....a new Starcraft RTs.

Last edited: 13 May 2007
Tags: Add Tags