1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News MacBook Air-alikes on the way

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Guest-16, 1 Feb 2008.

1. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

2. MilkMan5

MilkMan5 Yeah man...

I wonder if Apple will be happy with Intel!

I don’t buy Apple products, so it’s always nice to see other companies compete with Apple.

Although I must admit that Apple do bring out some very nice looking products.

Last edited: 1 Feb 2008
  3. Delphium

Delphium Eyefinity enabled

In my hands??! Would HAVE to be robustness, with an uninsiring look as a by product :sigh:

4. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

air = too expensive
    EEE = screen too small

i want a Air-like notebook, that's around 300 pound mark (spec doesn't matter) yet it has less than 12inch screen, relatively thin, with very, very good battery life.

5. xion

xion Minimodder

yeah, I want a PC, not a fashion accessory... and I hate paying 2-3 times the amount for Apple's Bling Factor... Made for yuppies IMHO (yes I am opinionated!)

6. Arkanrais

Arkanrais What's a Dremel?

I love seeing apple get a kick in the junk.
    kick away lenovo, kick away

7. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

Sony have had fine laptops before with no optical drives etc. I just dont see the point. You cant rely on usb memory sticks to transfer data.

8. Tim S

Tim S OG

I'm waiting for the ThinkPad X300!

9. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

now when you only have 1 USB slot.

x300 sure looks superb, not sure about price tag though.

10. mrplow

mrplow obey the fist!!

Someone help me out here... is Lenovo a part of IBM or did they split off, or have they just bought the name 'ThinkPad'...
    I'm consufed

11. legoman666

legoman666 Beat to fit, paint to match.

Lenovo is a chinese company that bought IBM's Thinkpad laptop line. If you look closely, you'll notice that their new laptops don't even say IBM anymore.

12. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=4213

The Thinkpad is a lot better on paper - it has loads of wireless connectivity (Bluetooth, 802.11 a/b/g/n, Wireless USB, WWAN, WiMax, GPS; I didn't even know you could get wireless USB) And it has an optical drive and 3 USB ports and weighs 1.1KG!

Awesome! *wants*

13. serial_

serial_ What's a Dremel?

DIdn't dell have a super-slim way back in 2000? oh yeah, it was the Latitude LS, and it fit in a manilla envelope.

Suck it, apple.

14. notatoad

notatoad pretty fing wonderful

Lenovo bought IBM's PC manufacturing division with all their trademarks, and a license to use the IBM brand name for a year. the license to use the IBM name has now run out, so thinkpads (and all other old ibm lines) now have the lenovo name on them.

15. koola

koola Minimodder

QFT

You gotta give it to Apple though, like Asus they innovate and don't just follow the wannbe crowd like so many other notebook manufacturers.

16. greensabbath

greensabbath Got Wood?

I'm routing for Lenovo on this one. I just got an X61 after my powerbook died and i love the thing. All of a sudden, i turned anti-apple too. Apple may win out on styling but the Lenovos enjoy a very nice reputation for durability (and should be cheaper)

17. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

I have two thoughts:
    1.)As a retired Big Blue employee, I beat a couple Thinkpads to death and that takes an awful effort. If they keep the quality of the Thinkpads I'll buy that one.
    2.) Apple is like Levis -Just paying for the name and the bragging rights.
    John

18. thecrownles

thecrownles What's a Relix?

I worked as a service provider for Lenovo and I must say their laptops can take alot, and they are also really easy to service. They may not look like much, but they give a better value than Apple, that's for sure.

19. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Without Apple you'd still be typing on a (possibly painted) grey box running a Windows 98-a-like OS, while playing your music on a clunky walkman.

20. Ninja_182

Ninja_182 Enginerd!

Probably a bit of an exaggeration, computer modding would have taken off anyway and companies would have had to pay attention. I dont really think windows has come on that much since 98, the move to NT would still have happened. We probably wouldnt have all the shiny Aero thing going off on Vista and 64-bit would probably be having an even harder time taking off. But I cant see how Apple are responsible for giving the computer market a kick. Us lot would have done it with our demands for improvement.

There were some nice portable players before the ipod, the higher end minidisk players for example. Apple just made it all alot more idiot friendly.

Tags: Add Tags