1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Apple MacBooks

Discussion in 'Software' started by adam197, 16 May 2006.

1. solar

solar What's a Dremel?

I don't think Apple have released the driver pack for Boot Camp yet (correct me if I'm wrong) so not everything will work perfectly. I'm sure they'll release it soon though.

Why do you want to put Windows on it though? The only reason I can think of to have Windows on a Mac is for gaming, and the integrated graphics aren't going to be very good for that.

2. J-Pepper

J-Pepper Minimodder

:D :D :D

I'm getting a white 2Ghz one with 2GB Ram upgrade for £985!! :D

3. customh

customh conflagration.

Hey bindi, check out some acer's. They have quite a few with X1400's that have dvi AND vga outs that are thin, 15.4" and light.

4. Orca

Orca What's a Dremel?

I dunno to be honest. I've never used a mac before and scared it'll all go pear shaped. But you do raise a valid point... I wont be using this as a gaming machine but more of a work machine/slight entertainment.

Maybe this will convert me... :p

5. NoahFuLing

NoahFuLing What's a Dremel?

From what I've heard, the hard drive is more easily upgradeable than one would think. http://appleinsider.com/article.php?id=1750 . Also, I've been led to believe (by someone working in the Macbook division) that the keyboard unit is UNDERNEATH the shell, and by removing the top shell the keyboard unit is replaceable. Not sure about that though.
    My neighbor's getting a white one through educational discount, and I'll post pictures of it if anyone wants! :thumb:

6. simon_C

simon_C Minimodder

NOTICE: I have discovered something rather important! On the MacBooks (Pro as well), if you click while 2 fingers are placed on the touch pad, it emulates a Control+Click ("right" click)!
    Useful bit of info there i believe. Also, there is a small little app out there somewhere that lets you use Control+Click to emulate right click in windows. not sure what it is. Will find it thogh.

7. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

The whole point is because I want OSX, not cause I enjoy looking like a fashion icon.

8. customh

customh conflagration.

Sucks they wont let us put it on boxes that we build/ notebooks we buy....legally...

9. cderalow

cderalow bondage master!

bindi have you seen a 15.4" in the flesh? yes its wide, but its damn thin and damn light

looked at the new macbooks in store today and the black does look spiffy... but if i were to get one, it'd probably get plonked into my car as an emergency system

10. Tomm

Tomm I also ride trials :¬)

Apparently that only works on the newer MacBook Pros and anyone that ordered one of the first ones will be disappointed.

If anyone finds a program to do the same for a Powerbook G4, I'd be very happy. I really can't get used to ctrl-clicking stuff.

11. K

K 528491

An Apple laptop with a user upgradeable hard drive? What is this, Bizarro Bit-Tech?! :O

Want. So bad. But the only reason I'd have to upgrade my G4 Powerbook is to get a Mac that'll play stuff like BF2 and CS:S at a decent speed... Which isn't really going to happen with the Macbook though eh? Oh well, for what it is, it looks absolutely fantastic.

12. mookboy

mookboy BRAAAAAAP

*Points at new MacBook Pro*

I just had to post that as I've just set it up. Sorry.

Personally I think that assuming you want to use the new MacBook in the same manner as the last iBook then it seems fantastic value. I'm sure the comparisons could be made between them and cheaper PC laptops, but the features and design aspects blow them away in my opinion - and of course coupled with OS X then it wins despite the weak GPU.

13. DreamTheEndless

DreamTheEndless Gravity hates Bacon

"User Upgradeable" is relative of course, but apple notebooks have had "User Upgradeable" hard drives for years. I replaced the hard drive (either 2gb or 4 gb, I can't remember which right now,) in my sisters blue and white clamshell ibook with a used 8gb many years ago.

Really close to the time apple started using g3 processors they started using standard parts. I had a beige 300mhz powerpc g3 macintosh that used an IDE hard drive, pci video card, standard SDram... I think it still had a scsi cd rom drive, but it was standard scsi.

The original bondi-blue imac hard drive was IDE and the cd-rom drive was laptop ide.

Now, I know that not everyone would feel comfortable taking apart a laptop to replace a hard drive, but bit-tech members should'nt have a problem with a few screws.....

14. K

K 528491

mookie: I hate you. You should totally send that ex-PC my way though. You know it makes sense. I'll send you something nice in return. Like... Some chocolates.

DreamTheEndless: Believe me, I know. I have replaced the hard-drive on my 12" G4 PowerBook and it's really not worthy of the title 'user upgradeable' compared to most laptop and desktop methods. Plus, I'm sure taking apart the laptop yourself will invalidate the warranty... And that's a bit **** right? ;)

15. mookboy

mookboy BRAAAAAAP

I'd be quite interested to try the magnetic catch, despite reports to the contrary, the new double latch design on the MBP just doesn't feel great to me. It seems to take too much pressure (atleast on mine) to close it first time - maybe the hinges need to loosen up, I dunno.

16. Tomm

Tomm I also ride trials :¬)

I'm not a big fan of the clasp on my Powerbook either. The button to open it is too small and fiddly. I really have to get my nail in there to open it, and I have pretty small hands. The iBook one is only a millimetre or so bigger but it works much better. The magnetic thing looks cool, I would love to try it :)

17. Orca

Orca What's a Dremel?

Righto.... I decided imma get one of these babies... but in about a month or 2 since I'm in no rush. Can't wait =)

Those who ordered one lemme know your thoughts about it!

18. PHILIP1193

PHILIP1193 a Self Confessed HP Server Lover!!

been reading about and i think apple are going to be doing rev 2 soon.\ the ones that are currantly shipping are almost pre-production models so to speak. The laptops thatare currentyly been produced are having majour heat issues, i.e. throwing errors or in windows terms BSOD's and then ahving to be restarted. Its when they ahve been used for 30 mins to an hour under heavy use. Its those intel chips heating up and then apple not hvaing enough cooling from what i can gather hence why i think in a month r so they will bring out rev 2 to address the heat issues

thats my 2 cents worth anyway

Phil

19. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Went into the Apple store in London today and was really unimpressed by the black-book's. The finish is really nasty. Definately more impressed by the 15.4" MBPs which really dont look that much bigger than the 13s, and put my 15.4" Dell to shame.

20. Gordy

Gordy Evil Teddy

Your damn skippy bindi :D

You need to ditch the dell and come to the mbp side :D

Tags: